Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Are all Phono amps have the same schematics just like all power amps?
    I am looking intp PS Audio phono as well as Phonomena II and it seems the only difference is number of adjustments between these two and my basic Rotel Phono.
    I need to sort this dillema.

No, I have a friend who builds quality phono stages and there are many different circuit variations.

Also, look into the Jolida JD-9A phono stage. I have one and it is quite good for the money.

2. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Are all Phono amps have the same schematics just like all power amps?
    I am looking into PS Audio phono as well as Phonomena II and it seems the only difference is a number of adjustments between these two and my basic Rotel Phono.
    I need to sort this dillema.

Phonomena [​IMG]

3. Artisan Fan

Phonomena [​IMG]

I've heard good things as well. My friend Tom has the SimAudio LP5.3 which is also nice in the $1,500 price range. He also has the optional beefy power supply unit.

4. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

For the price, the thing is a knockout. Garth's gear is top notch!

5. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

6. Artisan Fan

On sale for $399 shipped. http://store.audioholics.com/product.php/2566/0 Thinking about the Paradigm Atom Monitors at about the same price point, but I'm looking at reviews of these now too. I'll have to see if there is someplace to listen to them near me.
    Thanks for the link and better price.

7. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

Phonomena [​IMG]

Really? It scares me.
    It looks to me like it is a regular 500 dollar unit dressed up with GREEN eye and with added fancy-shmancy battery pack. I wonder if it sounds good?
    Original Phonomena and Phonomena II (this unit is based on) never won any "awards" in sound department.

Aren't there any giant killers in this price category of under 1000.00

P.S. I am considering Graham Slee Era Gold V (750.00 shipped). However the 4 week brake-in period scares me , cause I don't understand nor believe in brake-in period for transistor electronics. Am I wrong? Did I not pay attention in physics class?

P.P.S. The more I look at Phono stages the more they look like BS blind item to me. Cigarette box size amps with BS outboard power supplies for $1000.00???

8. romafan

romafan Senior member

Thanks for the link and better price.

af - these or klipsch bookshelves? don't know model# - just looking for overall co. comparison...

9. javyn

javyn Senior member

TEAC 100W receiver, refurbished off ebay for around a hundred bucks.

Two Polk speakers, had them so long I don't know how much they cost or much about them except they are about 3 feet tall.

Had a subwoofer that went out 2 years ago I never bothered replacing.

40 dollar Sony DVD player

WD TV - Love it!

Panasonic 7 Disc DVD changer I got refurb off ebay years ago....crapped out and won't play DVDs anymore so I use it as a CD changer.

Dynix(sp?) 32" TV....LCD or LED, whatever. I don't do high def so I don't know.

Portable music is handled by my cell phone. LG enV Touch with 8 gig microsd.

10. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Actually its very accessible as its right next to the family room, on the 1st floor. Its just a matter of dedicating 2 or so hours to one activity i.e. a movie. We have 3 young kids, and both of us have long work hours, and the little free time we like to interact with kids. A movie every couple of weeks is a lot for us and pretty good use IMO.

Regards.

I'm surprised your wife let you put a matte black ceiling and brown walls on the first floor of your house, but I definitely approve of having it on the main floor.

11. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

I'm surprised your wife let you put a matte black ceiling and brown walls on the first floor of your house, but I definitely approve of having it on the main floor.

I am sorry, I used the old nomenclature. Its not on ground, but the first floor. Our Ground has the formals and family room etc. Then another family room on first and the HT next to it.

Regards.

12. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

Anyone has experience with Martin Logan Source or what appears to be their powered cousin the Purity? I'm considering upgrading from Ascend 340 to something better and more attractive. Since these are going in the living room, Mrs. Dmax has an input on what the new speakers will look like and she likes the aesthetics of these. FWIW, if I had to choose without her input, I would seriously consider Salk Song towers. [​IMG]

13. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

^^ Hope she's willing to accept that the speakers be placed well out from the walls and not crammed in there somewhere.

14. Artisan Fan

Anyone has experience with Martin Logan Source or what appears to be their powered cousin the Purity?
    I'm considering upgrading from Ascend 340 to something better and more attractive. Since these are going in the living room, Mrs. Dmax has an input on what the new speakers will look like and she likes the aesthetics of these.

FWIW, if I had to choose without her input, I would seriously consider Salk Song towers.

[​IMG]

The Martin Logans sound nice. The Salk people are nice but I was not impressed with their speakers.

15. jakejake

jakejake Senior member