• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Serg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
You have no ******* clue what you are talking about. Wilson Audio makes some of the best speakers on the planet.
teacha.gif

Audio is always some-what subjective, is it not?

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
You have no ******* clue what you are talking about. Wilson Audio makes some of the best speakers on the planet.
teacha.gif

I am not at all surprised that Wilsons appeal to someone with your oft-demonstrated tin ears coupled with your proclivity to swoon for noxious bullshit at the drop of a hat.

Originally Posted by Serg

Indeed. I'm amazed that companies with such awful-sounding, expensive, and ugly speakers such as Wilson or Avantgarde stay alive, that people want to buy that kind of stuff. I guess their buyers are looking for something other than fidelity to the source material, which is fine.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Serg

Over time one gains experience about what a recording and its instruments sound like and then you can tell what speakers are true to the source...does the violin sound like a string instrument? Is the soundstage wide and deep? Are the loud and soft spots in the music captured for good dynamics?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
I am not at all surprised that Wilsons appeal to someone with your oft-demonstrated tin ears coupled with your proclivity to swoon for noxious bullshit at the drop of a hat.

You hate their small speakers or just everything that has Wilson logo on it? Or perhaps you just hate that Wilson guy?

In any case, I don't claim to be an authority on Audio more than any other human with pair of ears wired to the brain.
Go listen to Wilson Alexandria. They are simply amazing. Not giving them credit for the sound they produce is simply unfair or delusional.

In other news, I finally manged to locate ATC dealer in the woods of Connecticut, literally. I am happy to say that me and my girl are finally found speakers that match our ears. ATC SCM 40SLT
Hallelujah.

Now I need to locate some decent integrated amp: currently there are 2 contenders Ayer 7x or Music Hall Mambo

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
You hate their small speakers or just everything that has Wilson logo on it? Or perhaps you just hate that Wilson guy?

In any case, I don't claim to be an authority on Audio more than any other human with pair of ears wired to the brain.
Go listen to Wilson Alexandria. They are simply amazing. Not giving them credit for the sound they produce is simply unfair or delusional.

In other news, I finally manged to locate ACT dealer in the woods of Connecticut, literally. I am happy to say that me and my girl are finally found speakers that match our ears. ACT SCM 40SLT
Hallelujah.

Now I need to locate some decent integrated amp: currently there are 2 contenders Ayer 7x or Music Hall Mambo

The Ayre line is terrific across the board. I especially like the MXR amps and KXR preamp. The CX-7 CD player and the Ayre universal player are especially good. Charlie Hanson really understands circuits and power requirements and use of chokes, etc.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should listen to one of ATC's active speakers, so you won't need the integrated amp.

--Andre

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score

They make small speakers?

I've heard the last three generations of WATT/Puppy (which all sucked to varyingly glaring degrees), two generations of Sophias (ditto, though less than the WATT/Puppies), and two generations of WITTs. The 2d gen WITT was the only one that didn't remind me of a car stereo designed by a 16 year-old with a glanduar problem. I've not heard the MAXX or WHAMM or whatever stupid name he's given his lastet gigantic-est speakers.

Wilson did make some good subwoofers, using the excellent JBL 2245H and later Aura's fantastic 18" underhung woofer. Of course, they were wildly overpriced, but performance is performance.

In other news, I finally manged to locate ACT dealer in the woods of Connecticut, literally. I am happy to say that me and my girl are finally found speakers that match our ears. ACT SCM 40SLT
Hallelujah.

What Andre said: get the active one instead.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
They make small speakers?

What Andre said: get the active one instead.

They are much more money and I still have to get a preamp. So no actives for me although I agree they would have been a very nice solution for amplification and wires.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are much more money and I still have to get a preamp. So no actives for me although I agree they would have been a very nice solution for amplification and wires.

Then try ATC's own integrated. It is very good.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

The new Cambridge Audio preamp and amp are getting good reviews but they are a bit pricey.

Have you explored a high end system based on a PC? That may bring the cost down provided you have a good soundcard.

What are your budget parameters?

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Piecing together a stereo for my new apartment, I needed a receiver for my technics 1200 turntable, and found this one: I love the look of old receivers and the one i got is in mint condition, I quite like it.
100_1784.jpg

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I like that receiver's looks. There is also new Yamaha gear in this style as well.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And IIRC, Panasonic, too, with their digital amplifiers. There's also the Logitech/Slim Devices Transporter whose front-panel LCD screens can simulate big VU meters:

4284.1.0.jpg

--Andre

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats cool, I like the big dials - cool to see them bringing that back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads