• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
New cartridge - and having that “must listen to all my favourite records NOW” feeling
8FA88928-B9F1-4007-8568-7DB0D9B44000.jpeg

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw this custom piece in an audio group on FB. My brain has been racing with the changes I would have my "wood guy" make for me

___THE CREDENZA.jpg

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is cool looking. Question though: if you are commissioning a custom piece of cabinetry, why wouldn't you want it wall mounted to bring the components up to eye a comfortable level for viewing/tinkering with them?

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have caught the vintage bug but I'm determined to get as much of my stereo acquisitions via thrifting and/or second hand buys as possible. I recently picked up a pair of Realistic Minimus 50 speakers for fast food meal money, refoamed the woofers myself (yeah I know it ain't rocket science) and now I have a new set of main speakers

I've come to the realization that I have no nostalgia for playing records. Nada. Zip. Zero. As a kid the first thing I would do after buying a record was to tape it and then put it away in storage like it was a master. I'm perfectly fine playing digital files from my nas, especially considering most of them are flac files. One of these day, probably after my next speaker upgrade, I will need to pick up a DAC. The Schitt Modi 3 looks nice

Speaking of nicer things, I have yet to retrieve the G-9700. I realized that my dad's previous system, his long departed Sansui G9000 is the one that stirs feelings of nostalgia. I never really cared for the 1/2 digital display of the 9700 so I'm going to keep it for a short while and iron out the kinds but then get rid of it. And because vintage is all the rage today and at 200 "Sansui watts" (Sansui often underrated the output of their products ) it was a strong top tier contender in the Horsepower Wars of the late 70s. I should be able to get top dollar, enough to purchase a lowly 110/125 watt Sansui 9090/9090db (or perhaps its quad brother QRX-9001) and maybe a pair of Heresy 3s as well.

1614940178219.png

Sansui QRX9001.jpg

Aren't they beautiful?

Last edited:

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool! I've been wanting to upgrade my pioneer receiver from a sx-750 to something a little farther up the product line, if only to have an all wood cabinet - the vinyl covered cabinet on mine is kinda ratty, but functionally it's in great shape.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool! I've been wanting to upgrade my pioneer receiver from a sx-750 to something a little farther up the product line, if only to have an all wood cabinet - the vinyl covered cabinet on mine is kinda ratty, but functionally it's in great shape.
Mine had a nice from far but far from nice peeling woodgrain contact paper fnish which I was going to replace so I helped it along its journey. Underneath that was a sticky layer of vinyl wrap which I also removed in order to reveal the wood underneath.

_DSC5614.JPG

After contemplating applying a real wood veneer I realized that despite having grown up in and around my carpenter grandfather's workshop, my woodworking skills are now quite poor as most of his lessons and techniques that I learned as a kid have been lost to time. I decided instead to sand down the case in order to get rid of the adhesive residue and then stain it with Minwax wood finish in...

<checks the can>

Jacobean. I've been dragging my feet on this but maybe I'll get to it this weekend

That SX-750 is nice and makes similar power to mine. Sounds like a keeper. Re-veneering with real wood, stripping & staining or hell, getting a custom case made might be options for you as well.

Last edited:

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been wanting to upgrade my Pioneer sx-780. Thoughts on Bob Latino`s st-120 kit?

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been wanting to upgrade my Pioneer sx-780. Thoughts on Bob Latino`s st-120 kit?
I was once invited to dinner by a friend of my ex wife (our kids went to school together so I had to play nice with Whatsherface). The husband had a couple of his weird friends there over and they started talking music. They all had tube amps (some bought, some built) and so they were droning on and on about their systems and the latest tweaks they did. Wanting to be 'one of the guys' I chimed in about my impressive collection of mp3s.

The look they gave me dripped with pure disdain

"Mp3s? That isn't music"

<condescending laugher>

"FUCK YOU AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON!!!", I screamed...

on the inside.

What I actually said was, "Oh..." and then looked at my toes. I have never been made to feel like an unwashed savage in my entire life until that day. Since then I have had an aversion to tube amps/receivers so no I have neither thought nor opinion Bob Latino's friggin st-120 kit!!! :rotflmao:

Last edited:

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Has anyone used any isolators other than the Gaia’s? I have a 3.1 setup for music (2.1 or 2.0) and movies and was thinking of getting them for my towers. My sub probably needs something too, but it’s 100+lbs.
Gaia I's work up to 220lbs so should be fine. Gaia II's work for speakers/subs up to 120lbs

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used any isolators other than the Gaia’s? I have a 3.1 setup for music (2.1 or 2.0) and movies and was thinking of getting them for my towers. My sub probably needs something too, but it’s 100+lbs.
I installed the Gaia IIs and love them.
If you want a less expensive option, Herbie's (https://herbiesaudiolab.com/) are well regarded, are inexpensive, and reported to be widely effective.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I installed the Gaia IIs and love them.
If you want a less expensive option, Herbie's (https://herbiesaudiolab.com/) are well regarded, are inexpensive, and reported to be widely effective.
BTW, they are not the same. There's "magic" in the Gaia IIs, which is completely apparent from how the isolators / speakers move when installed. It's not mere absorption -- there's a fair amount of "play" on the isolators. That said, they're also expensive, so for a multi-channel set up and a sub, a less expensive but effective option may have considerably more appeal.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just realized my dad has (had?) some old speakers and shit. If he still has them are they easy to get to listening condition again?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 32 15.2%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Carmina

Votes: 31 14.8%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 71 33.8%