• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this is a dumb question: Is there a device I can store like 50GB of digital audio on so that I can play it out of vintage audio gear that is not an apple, and not a general purpose computer?
You're looking for a network-attached storage box, I think?

You can set up your own from commodity components, or there are plenty of audio companies that sell out-of-the-box solutions. Assume you already have a DAC to interface with the vintage analog gear?

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Huntsman I built a killer Roon ROCK server based on a NUK which I dropped in a fanless case. Change the bios settings to turn off all the extraneous functionality and it's a giant-killer. I dropped a fast SSD in the box, but still store my music on an external spinner as I have 8GB of music. For vast libraries, a NAS is the way to go, but I like to keep my server within USB reach of my DAC and fanless. Nevermind that -- as I am a Qobuz subscriber (high resolution / studio level) and stream music at > CD quality. Port that into my PS Audio Direct Stream DAC via USB (forked to separate power and data) and I can back out to any gear. In my case it's not vintage, but other than XLR connects might as well be (high-end Ayre gear).

If you can network a Roon ROCK server, it's a great way to go, absolutely improves the sound and all you need on the back end is a DAC and a way to connect the DAC to your gear. ROON is the best $500 you can spend and forget about forever. The only downside is lack of Spotify connectivity. Sound quality aside, that's a big drawback as the Spotify recommendation engine and interface win, IMO.

Last edited:

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I use Audirvana on OSX to output lossless music to a tube DAC. The software is pretty good, has some issues with multi-disc titles though. You can upsample files to the capabilities of your DAC. You can use a smartphone app to control things too. Being the cheapskate that I am, I baulked a bit at the price and tried the free stuff including Pine before during and after the Audirvana free trial, but in the end you do get what you pay for. Currently listening to Ken Burns Jazz.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, I got side-tracked, I meant to say that I received a Luxman D-103u tube CD player that has been 'lampizated'. Sounds pretty good.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's