• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s really good for what it is. Cheap and super user friendly. Also expandable. If you want something better you can always do a connect amp and add bookshelf speakers or whatnot.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity: why? Do you have a ton of bootlegged concerts on tape?

No, I don't. I have some recordings made off the radio of blues/ jazz when i was a student. Otherwise there's a small box of prerecorded cassettes that I have. I 'survived' without a tape player for decades, except for a Sony WM-D6C that was used sparingly.

There's no particular reason why other than it's another of those things that I wanted when young but couldn't afford. Our family were rather poor when i grew up, and I seem to be making up for it a bit.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish there was an easy way to port out Spotify play lists to Qobuz -- I find the recommendation engine on Spotify wonderful for music discovery so go back to listening to low-fi for the music. Also wish Spotify would offer high res and integrate with Roon.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, friend got peachtree audio and is happy with it. The Naim was out of their price range. I recommended the peachtree initially because I have a nova that I like a lot that they have heard so I figured their lower line would be suitable and better than what they had.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anybody know the difference between streaming with Qobuz vs Amazon HD?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, I don't. I have some recordings made off the radio of blues/ jazz when i was a student. Otherwise there's a small box of prerecorded cassettes that I have. I 'survived' without a tape player for decades, except for a Sony WM-D6C that was used sparingly.

There's no particular reason why other than it's another of those things that I wanted when young but couldn't afford. Our family were rather poor when i grew up, and I seem to be making up for it a bit.
I gotcha. Theres a radio show i listen to religiously hear in Atlanta that I've been trying to figure out how to record digitally. No such luck yet. Maybe ill just go your route!

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish there was an easy way to port out Spotify play lists to Qobuz -- I find the recommendation engine on Spotify wonderful for music discovery so go back to listening to low-fi for the music. Also wish Spotify would offer high res and integrate with Roon.

I’ve used soundiiz to transfer my playlists. Have you tried it?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About 30 years too late, I bought a Nakamichi Dragon. Just one of those things that I dreamed about as a poor student. Ironically, I was more into 'proper' hifi then than I am now.
I can sympathise with this, as I still remember when a friend of mine got one in the late 80s - the one that mesmerisingly flipped the tape instead of the tone heads for the auto reverse function. And it definitely still looks awesome, like something that would fit right in in Deckard's apartment in (the 1982) Blade Runner - maybe paired with something like the Sony TA-N77ES that I have sitting unused ATM under my bed (under the bed as I had some difficulties lifting the 55 pounds over my head to the top of the cupboard I had planned for it).

As for what I'd play on a cassette deck? The two things that come to mind is the tape I have from that one time I guest DJ'ed for a local radio station in the mid 80s, with a stack of my 12'' singles under the arm. And the parts I recorded from that July day in '85 when Live Aid was simultaneously broadcast on the TV and the radio.

As for present gear, this last decade or so, I haven't really been in to 'proper' hifi either. I've ripped all my CDs and play them through iTunes on a B&W A7 (which sounds much better than anything I've heard from Sonos, not that that is such a high bar to pass). For my venerable Kuro plasma screen, I have B&W's Panorama 2 soundbar, which sounds so great that I've abandoned any thoughts of getting a multi channel set up.

Finally, I use a small pair of Genelecs for my desk top PC, a set of B&W C5 in-ear head phones (nice sound and quite comfortable with the adjustable cable loop), and for music on the go, a Minirig (which is super awesome: looong battery life and better sounding than anything else at this size - including the B&O BeoPlay A1 I recently bought for my GF).

Ignoring the occasionally returning urges to research and buy new stuff, I'm quite happy with this set up.

(Though I still kinda want a Rega Apollo CD player...)

Last edited:

MarketTarget

Reaction score
A few months ago I put a Naim Muso 2 in my cabin. I needed something that didn't take up much space and could do well for both streaming audio and as a sound bar for the television.

The thing is quite impressive. I didn't expect such a small box could sound this big but blows away all of the single unit systems I've heard, and the small multi speaker ones like Sonos and Bose produce.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the QB in the kitchen and I couldn’t be happier. Piss poor wireless performance though.

CHenry

Reaction score
I am using mostly 2.1 setups with monitors and REL subs. The form factor and sound quality for the cost is well-balanced. My main listening room is using Amphion Argon 3s, a REL T9i run wirelessly from a Peachtree Nova 300 and a Marantz music player. Elsewhere, it is also 2.1 for the most part with Sonos Port or Amp units. I tried wireless setups with Apple Airport Express in client mode but the wireless performance was not good. Sonos is much more stable, of course at a price. The Peachtree amp is impressive and powerful (and probably overkill, but I got a deal on it.) The Sonos Amp has been a pleasant surprise. I am old-school in that I have been used to full-size Class AB solid state receivers and integrated amps and the Sonos is none of that, compact, meant to be hidden, accessed via app, class D but clean, powerful and pleasant. It is a nice way to go if you want to make use of older passive speakers and integrate them into a useful, modern whole house audio scheme.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know the difference between streaming with Qobuz vs Amazon HD?
Qobuz has a deep jazz collection and an excellent selection of higher fidelity tracks. I think for a serious audiophile who likes a broad array of music, including classical and jazz, it’s the winner (with the premium subscription - $25/month). Don’t know much about Amazon HD but unless the lossless streaming companies figure out profitability, we will one day he left with picking between Amazon and Apple for just about everything.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The Absolute Sound has launched an Instagram account. If you like good sound, check it out and give us a follow.

Disclaimer: I am now President of Nextscreen, the publisher of The Absolute Sound, hifi+ and WindingRoad.com.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
The Absolute Sound has launched an Instagram account. If you like good sound, check it out and give us a follow.

Disclaimer: I am now President of Nextscreen, the publisher of The Absolute Sound, hifi+ and WindingRoad.com.

That is fantastic. I 100% blame a random copy of HiFi+ (bought 17 years ago? featuring some Boulder separates) for sending me down the high end rabbit hole. And look at me now...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads