1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Feb 11, 2008.

1. tom_s252

tom_s252 Active Member

Some great stuff on this thread.

No pics to hand, but I have a lovely late model Cyrus One which I've just had refurbished by the factory. Modest by some peoples' standards, but it's a classic bit of British hi-fi history, and sounds glorious. I love my Chromecast Audio, and I'm about to put another in the kitchen with whatever cheap small active speakers I can find so I can have multiroom music while I cook, make coffee...

2. Girardian

Girardian Distinguished Member

Pics. These photos were taken with a YBA Signature Pre-amp. I'm using the Delta-2 preamp. I don't have everything aligned for optimal listening as these were taken when i was moving around gear. My system is now for sale.

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

3. idfnl

idfnl Stylish Dinosaur

I have a chance to get a pair of vintage Klipsch Cornwall's. I've always wanted to own a pair. Might have to pull the trigger. Can't believe the condition they're in, must have been placed once and never moved.

My wife's new office was a chance to put together a nice system, not gonna happen. Immediately received complaints the KEF 203.2s were too large, and the pre-amp and amp took up too much space. I tried. Going to get a pair of ELAC bookshelf's and an NAD D 3020, which should make her happy.

4. idfnl

idfnl Stylish Dinosaur

I added 900 SF to my house, just finished. 2 rooms. One is my office. I went to great effort to dampen and isolate the room, and it sounds unbelievable in here. I added some bass traps and deadening panels, as well as a bookcase to diffuse. I experimented with setting up 4 separate systems in here, all on separate rigs, and the result is way better than anticipated.

It's incredible the sound pressure you can get at such low volume listening like this. What I find so hard to get my head around is the imaging doesn't disappear. Anyone ever tried this, am I getting fooled? It seems like it sounds better than my dedicated listening room.

5. Girardian

A dedicated room with treatment is a real pleasure. That's something I've never had and always wanted. In the "someday" category. What you're hearing is probably like what you get in an old school high end stereo shop with a proper brick and morter set up and treatments. Usually not what you get when you listen at home.

I do have a "man cave" with the AV and 2 channel set up, which provides a great place for listening, but treatments and dampening can really make a difference.

6. idfnl

idfnl Stylish Dinosaur

I agree, it reminds me of being a teen and going into hi-end shops listening to stuff you thought you'd never have. The sales guy didn't care, they loved listening as well. That's dead today, sadly.

I've been staying up most night in here tweaking this to the point where I have to admit it's better than my dedicated listening room. It's pretty amazing what you can do in a room that's relatively sealed when you dampen it properly. I started go deep into internet videos, and what really triggered me was Linda Perry's LA recording studio. All that calculation and related jargon is hooey. Make the room absorb and deflect, and you'll be amazed at how good it can sound.

Still trying to make sense of the 4 separate system setup, it's not supposed to work.

Follow up on my new Counterpoint preamp. It's gold. If you ever see one come up, it's worth owning.

BTW, nice looking setup, sadly I don't know any of that gear, so I can't speak to it.

7. Medwed

Medwed Distinguished Member

Boston-NYC-Helsinki-Pietari-Budapest-Antwerp-Basel
    Looking to buy ProAc wide baffle speakers like EBS or Studio3. Like their sound profile and looks. Received refurbished Pioneer CS-E700 , not a bad speaker but treble is weak, too soft and recessed for my taste. Not bi-wirable without external crossover is another minus. Will try to play with sound adjustments when I receive my Marantz 3650 back from recap service.
    The cabinets are so inert on Pioneers and so well made almost makes me want to stuff new crossover and drivers into that box and keep them forever. Audio things were so pretty in the 1970s and it is not even nostalgia talking since I was a little baby then.

8. Girardian

Anyone on this thread looking for high end budget cables, LMK. I'm selling some fantastic Signal Cable RCAs and PCs, and some monster Virtual Dynamics power cables.

9. poorsod

poorsod Distinguished Member

Do you guys have recommendations for an integrated amp with DAC under $1k? 50W minimum. I’m thinking of getting the NAD C368. Any other options I should consider?

10. habitant

habitant Distinguished Member

I think a used Brio R with a used Chord Mojo would be an excellent choice. Plus you have an added bonus of a phono stage and a portable headphone amplifier!

11. poorsod

poorsod Distinguished Member

I’ve considered getting a Brio R but it doesn’t have a DAC. I was hoping to keep the components simple. Let me look into the Chord Mojo and see if it has the connectivity I need

12. habitant

I meant a Brio R with a chord mojo. Another option would be a small power amp like a Nuprime STA 9 with an Auralic Aries mini feeding right into it.

Another option would be a completely integrated solution like a Bluesound Powernode.

13. habitant

Back to back posts, I recently changed my power cable on my Auralic Polaris from a gutwire b16 to an Audioquest NRG 4 and the difference is astonishing.