What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Feb 11, 2008.

1. habitant

habitant Senior member

Resonessence Labs

2. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Do you guys have advise about buying used audio equipment? For example, is getting a pair of around 10-15 year old speakers a bad idea? What is the expected life of speakers?

Thanks.

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Speakers can basically last forever. No qualms at all buying something that age. Make sure the drivers are in good condition, don't buzz, etc.

4. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

There is no danger in buying speakers of that age unless they have been abused. That is where the best value is 10-15 y.o. speakers. The difficult part is to listen enough of them to zero in on the type of sound you like East Coast vs. West Coast. Veiled, soft , tubey or more forward, fast with mids and highs slightly forward.
    There are bazillions of speakers on the market and once you establish your fav. type of sound that wast speaker selection shrinks to a dozen.
    Also bare in mind that some companies that have "Company Sound" to their speakers sometimes change it in response to a market. What you have heard from say 15 y.o. Harbeth or Triangle might sound better or worse to your ears in today's' models from the same makers. I learned my lessons a few times assuming that signature sound of the company is something stable throughout the years.
    Pay attention to efficiency of speakers you like, some makes like Thiel or ATC would need significant amplification from a high current amp to do their best. Some less efficient speakers will not come alive at low listening volume, so that plays part in your decision, depending on your living arrangements and volume preferences.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  5. c21ban

c21ban Active Member

IMG_1436.JPG I'm still a tube guy!

Some of my past collection that has mostly been liquidated.

Still use my McIntosh MC-225 amp with Quad ESL-57 speakers for near field listening but just don't have the time to really enjoy sitting down for long periods to listen. Have some beautiful Klipschorns and Altec Model 19 speakers jus sitting around that for some reason, I just don't part with.

IMG_1521.JPG

IMG_1523.JPG

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Beautiful amp.

What are the units below it and the 275?

7. c21ban

c21ban Active Member

The two blue meter McIntosh piece is a 2275 tube preamp, the cdp is a McIntosh 7009, black slimline piece is a Polk XM receiver, and the silver piece is a high watt surge protector. I don't have the name of the brand in front of me but it's solid and a must for me as I have had an issue in the past with a lightning strike.

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Thanks.

Do you have a subwoofer? I heard those Quad speakers before and, while nice speakers, they didn't have any bass.

9. c21ban

c21ban Active Member

While bass is not as pronounced, instruments and voices are very pronounced. While I have speakers that will provide bass extension, these are a much more relaxed and clean but with enough bass to get a feeling for the music.

They are not my favorite speakers for rockin' out, they are fantastic reproducers when focused directly towards the listener and non-fatiguing to my ears.

The Altec's and Klipschorns are more suited to rock as well as orchestral but each serves its purpose.