1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Feb 11, 2008.

1. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

That's not mine...I just pulled those pics off the internet. Just recently bought mine locally here in Toronto. It replaced a very nice Accuphase pre that also has a very nice phono stage. But the DR-7 matches very well with my DR-3 amp (naturally). I've just gone back to SS after a long run with 300B SET.

2. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
  3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Though all the speakers came with them, I have never used a KUBE, but yes, the intention was to equalize the bass to the room. I always bypassed it, preferring better placement to another step in the signal path.

I have owned a 104, never liked it. The 103 is great, as well as the 105.

They were like $6k when new. Yeah, you can get them relatively cheap because they're huge speakers, and very heavy. Why do you say DIY? Were they in shit condition or something?

The 107/2 can usually be found for less than $2000, but they hare harder to find.

4. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

I just assume that speakers that old would probably require some DIY for dried out gaskets or may be even capacitors replacement.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

It has 2 crossovers, the top unit is sealed. The bottom unit's crossover is easily accessed. There are folks out there that can do the complete refurb pretty easily.

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Heh, accuphase again. By the way, what are those monsters anyway? I see they are JBL, but what is the story behind them?

7. habitant

habitant Senior member

How popular is atc? It's also pretty pricey

8. habitant

habitant Senior member

Sorry for the double post. But I have a microrendu running roon into my RL dac and the sound is very nice.

9. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

You have Ralph Lauren dac?

1 person likes this.
  10. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

11. habitant

habitant Senior member

Resonessence Labs

12. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Do you guys have advise about buying used audio equipment? For example, is getting a pair of around 10-15 year old speakers a bad idea? What is the expected life of speakers?

Thanks.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Speakers can basically last forever. No qualms at all buying something that age. Make sure the drivers are in good condition, don't buzz, etc.

1 person likes this.
  14. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

There is no danger in buying speakers of that age unless they have been abused. That is where the best value is 10-15 y.o. speakers. The difficult part is to listen enough of them to zero in on the type of sound you like East Coast vs. West Coast. Veiled, soft , tubey or more forward, fast with mids and highs slightly forward.
    There are bazillions of speakers on the market and once you establish your fav. type of sound that wast speaker selection shrinks to a dozen.
    Also bare in mind that some companies that have "Company Sound" to their speakers sometimes change it in response to a market. What you have heard from say 15 y.o. Harbeth or Triangle might sound better or worse to your ears in today's' models from the same makers. I learned my lessons a few times assuming that signature sound of the company is something stable throughout the years.
    Pay attention to efficiency of speakers you like, some makes like Thiel or ATC would need significant amplification from a high current amp to do their best. Some less efficient speakers will not come alive at low listening volume, so that plays part in your decision, depending on your living arrangements and volume preferences.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    1 person likes this.