1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Feb 11, 2008.

1. scb

scb Senior member

I would demo a Devialet if you can.

I'm currently running a Devialet 200 with Wilson Duette speakers and the sound is very good. I was previously running Pass Labs XA-60.8 with Von Schweikert Unifield 3 speakers, and I think the Devialet is pretty damn nice. I LOVED the pass amps and my old system, but I'm not missing it. The Devialet is really impressive

2. Berners15

Berners15 Senior member

I run CyrusX plus Spendors and I thought that was expensive, you guys are nuts!

3. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Yeah, I've always loved the Revels through the years. This was the first time I'd heard them in awhile, so just tried with the one amp across multiple speakers, and loved the Revels the most in that range. Didn't have time to try multiple/amp speaker combos.

4. LeatherBoot

LeatherBoot Senior member

The sad thing is the two Devialets I have sit in an AV rack so no one gets to see them. The remotes are lovely too but I have to control everything through my phone.

5. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I just want to ask, are they genuinely great? I'm talking about the Expert series, not the speakers. I've never listened to them, so just curious.

I remember around a couple of decades ago, the Japanese manufactures of receivers were in a race to lower SNR and basically put together ways to make the tech sheet look great at the consequence of actual sound.

6. scb

scb Senior member

see my post 5 posts up

7. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Alright, fair enough, double sold on an audition in a few months.

8. LeatherBoot

LeatherBoot Senior member

I can't say that they are genuinely great because I am not really an audiophile. I do think it is a good deal for the sound quality you get. It offers a very clean and pure sound. There are other brands that offer a more lively sound (that my inexperienced ears prefer) but it's so much more work to put all the pieces together and since I only have one 42U rack, space is limited.

9. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  10. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

Finally picked up a Tandberg 3001 tuner. And my my...it lives up to its reputation. Surprising how analogue FM broadcasts can sound so stunningly good.

11. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Anyone of you have experience with the Devialet Phantom? Is it really that good or just hype? Thanks.

12. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Yes. At length.

'A new engineering that outperfoms all existing systems'

Incorrect.

'The best wireless speaker in the world.'

Possibly. That's not saying much.

It's Class D amplification and sounds it. Class D has come a long way, but this is brawn and sexy over subtlety and nuance. Not for me, I'm afraid.

1 person likes this.
  13. scb

scb Senior member

Incorrect. It's not Class D. Devialet's stuff uses a hybrid of Class A and Class D.

14. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Correct. An amalgam.

And sounds just like early Class D.

15. scb

scb Senior member

I haven't heard the Phantom, but I will say that The Devialet integrated amplifiers sound nothing like early Class D

16. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

I really wanted to like the Devialet but the bass is quite boomy and the mids are just not smooth enough.

17. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Alas, it was expected. Hopefully they will be successful enough to continue develop their system. Perhaps their bass drivers could be incorporated into traditional speakers down the line. Devialet claim that SPL of recording is matching 1:1 SPL of their speakers is pretty impressive and I assume measurable.
    I have not heard them in person but in HD videos they do sound pretty balanced.

18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Scored a pair of Spendor SP2's today (the original version). Sound fantastic, 9.5/10 condition, one owner. Overpaid a little, but I'm very happy with them. So now I need to let a set of KEF 104s go to make room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    2 people like this.
  19. horndog

horndog Senior member

Nice pickup.

I am currently cross-shopping Integrated/DACs for my small listening room. If we don't get super snowed in this weekend I am going to try and demo the following: Hegel H80, NuPrime IDA8 or a IDA 16, Parasound Halo. The Hegel has incredible reviews.

20. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'm a creature of my generation, not to mention I like to look at a substantial stack of separate units.

Let us know what you like. An initial pass on that Hegel is interesting.

Going to wire up the Spendors this weekend to a Naim Nap 180/Nac 162 and demo them for a few weeks in my home office. With my Nait 3, they sound really nice, I'm impressed.