1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Feb 11, 2008.

1. A Y

A Y Senior member

Is there someone you're trying not to offend? Lets be honest, Bose sucks.

But at some other times, Bose blows.

--Andre

2. Miguel Antonio

Miguel Antonio Senior member

I think I'm getting confused. Please clarify.

3. tlmusic

tlmusic Senior member

But at some other times, Bose blows.

--Andre

+1

IMHO even an analog source cannot save Bose.

4. Miguel Antonio

Miguel Antonio Senior member

Now I get it. "Blows" is worse than "sucks". I tought blows was like "rocks".
    Sorry, I'm not a native english speaker.

5. tlmusic

tlmusic Senior member

Now I get it. "Blows" is worse than "sucks". I tought blows was like "rocks".
    Sorry, I'm not a native english speaker.

Don't worry[​IMG]

I have always thought it was odd that musicians and audiophiles use vacuum cleaner terms to express themselves.

6. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

You need to get out more. [​IMG] There are much nicer CD players although some PSs are decent sounding.
    http://www.younghifi.com/2006/12/06/...ifi-cd-player/ And you have to realize I'm a destitute 23-year-old. When hardcore audiophiles start saying a PlayStation is better than many high-end CD players, I'm like, "Fuck yeah! Got one right here!"

7. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

http://www.younghifi.com/2006/12/06/...ifi-cd-player/

And you have to realize I'm a destitute 23-year-old. When hardcore audiophiles start saying a PlayStation is better than many high-end CD players, I'm like, "Fuck yeah! Got one right here!"

John Marks investigated this at Stereophile (see recent issue) and was not impressed. But it sounds pretty good to my ears but you implied it was better than other high end CD players which I am not convinced of.

8. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

John Marks investigated this at Stereophile (see recent issue) and was not impressed. But it sounds pretty good to my ears but you implied it was better than other high end CD players which I am not convinced of.

In my experience. I don't have access to a lot of the high-end stuff but I have an ear for sound and it's good enough to impress me. That said, if I had any kind of money I wouldn't want anyone to see a PlayStation in my set-up, as they're hideous.

9. Artisan Fan

In my experience. I don't have access to a lot of the high-end stuff but I have an ear for sound and it's good enough to impress me. That said, if I had any kind of money I wouldn't want anyone to see a PlayStation in my set-up, as they're hideous.

Hey that's cool. [​IMG] Enjoy what you have and later on upgrade.

10. username79

username79 Senior member

VPI Aries Scout
    Clearaudio Aurum Beta S
    Pass Labs Aleph Ono Phono Preamp
    Pass Labs Aleph 3 Amplifier (DIY)
    JM Lab Mini Utopia

11. Kengs

Kengs Senior member

Is there someone you're trying not to offend? Lets be honest, Bose sucks.
    To be fair, I don't think the Series II 901 speakers suck...granted there are much better speakers, but if someone gave me a set, I would probably not mind so much [​IMG]

12. Artisan Fan

VPI Aries Scout
    Clearaudio Aurum Beta S
    Pass Labs Aleph Ono Phono Preamp
    JM Lab Mini Utopia

Nice system. [​IMG]

13. gvibes

gvibes Senior member

Nice space heater [​IMG]

14. A Y

A Y Senior member

To be fair, I don't think the Series II 901 speakers suck...

Sorry to say this, but that's probably one of the worst things they've made.

--Andre

15. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

I picked up my LP12 yesterday, and my gosh is it heavy. After a brief bit of attaching it to my amp and playing a couple of albums, it is very good. It just has the Basik arm and cartridge, probably enough for me and my ears and my listening space - the primary limitation to realistically getting the 'best' out of this or any system. It came with a pair of the Linn Index speakers (original non biwire) which are supposedly the bargain basement Linn model but are nearly twice the size of my Wharfdales, oh, and a mass of Naim cables.

16. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

What is the reputation of vintage Phase Linear and Marantz?

17. A Y

A Y Senior member

What is the reputation of vintage Phase Linear and Marantz?

Some of the Marantz tube amps are nice. Phase Linear AKA Flames Linear. If you want a Carver design, get his Sunfire stuff.

--Andre

18. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Some of the Marantz tube amps are nice. Phase Linear AKA Flames Linear. If you want a Carver design, get his Sunfire stuff.

--Andre

So it's either very gay or readily combustible?

19. username79

username79 Senior member

Audio Room: - Vintage Luxman seperates system (Pics: Pre-amp, Amp)
    I had the M-05. Supposedly produced, IIRC 50W/per channel "Class A." It did produce quite a bit of heat and was well built. However, I found the sound to be noticeably "bright." I bought it because I heard the Japanese components of its era and price, especially those made by Luxman and Accuphase, sounded quite sweet. I was disappointed. However, I ended up finding a good match for it: the B&W Matrix 802 Series 80s, before they switched to metal domes, were practically dead in the top end, so they worked well together. Re: Sonus Faber (too lazy to quote) My next speakers are looking to be the Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors. They sound very nice up top. The exact opposite of how nasty the Nautilus line can sound. Re: Vinyl vs. CD Let's not forget to mention the tangible, "fun" aspect of collecting LPs with all their larger format artwork and inserts.

20. Artisan Fan

I love Sonus Faber speakers but right now Usher is arguably a better value. The Tiny Dancers are breathtaking in their realism.