• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What sports do you play? (have you played?)

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was wondering what sports people have played in the past and play now?

It seems that alot of sports that you could once play in high school and earlier are difficult to play these days because of the people involved, equipment, potential for injury etc.

I played baseball, football, and tennis in high school, football and tennis in college (div 3) competitively, then softball, tennis, and football intermurally, and now only play tennis and the occasional softball league. Surprisingly all three of the major injuries (ACL/MCL and partially torn UCL) that I've endured while playing sports were in baseball, which you would think would be pretty low impact.

I guess some people still do play football in park recreational leagues and such but it would seem it would be really hard on your body. Back when I lived in WI, there was a bar league where they played full tackle football with pads and people left in ambulances nearly every night they played...

I suppose tennis, racquetball, basketball, and maybe soccer are sports that are fairly accessible for adults to play, any others?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
School sports I used to participate in include track & field (more field than track), soccer, tennis, badminton, golf, and a little basketball. I really miss a lot of those, but they really lose their lustre apart from competitive environments.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I play a few sports, but mostly for fun - noncompetitive. I played tennis in high school.

I understand the draw of playing sports on a team, but to me, it's a lot more enjoyable to play them with a few buddies on the weekend.

Unfortunately, I go to school at a Division 1 college, so it would be quite hard to get onto any sort of school team.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speech contests are a great "sport".

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
I play a few sports, but mostly for fun - noncompetitive. I played tennis in high school.

I understand the draw of playing sports on a team, but to me, it's a lot more enjoyable to play them with a few buddies on the weekend.

Unfortunately, I go to school at a Division 1 college, so it would be quite hard to get onto any sort of school team.

Some of the most fun I had on a football field were a bunch of guys just deciding to play on the spur of the moment. Of course, that doesn't happen when you're not around a bunch of guys in a dorm or whatever... Maybe at a picnic or something of that sort, I suppose.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Some of the most fun I had on a football field were a bunch of guys just deciding to play on the spur of the moment. Of course, that doesn't happen when you're not around a bunch of guys in a dorm or whatever... Maybe at a picnic or something of that sort, I suppose.

Yup, or just hanging down at the beach on Lake Michigan, drinking some beers.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan

Yeah, when I was working on my Masters at UW, they had a few IM teams from our program, even the IM teams were much more hardcore at a Div. I school. We played against a flag football team that had a couple starters from UW's team, I was surprised they let them play IM during the week. I tried out for the UW tennis team with little success.

I read an article about UGA having a team that had both of the Bailey brothers on it, and they LOST in the finals of the IM tournament there...

Buddy Love

Reaction score
Soccer, "Bodybuilding", Aikido, Taekwondo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Now mainly Aikido, BJJ and strength training.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Growing up I played a lot of cricket at a reasonably high standard. As a junior I was in state representative teams for indoor cricket.

Also played Australian Rules Football in school - wasnt particularly good at it though, just played for fun.

Out of school Ive done a lot of martial arts. Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, Wing Chun, and a little NHB (until I got sick of going to the office with black eyes). Want to take up wrestling but keep finding excuses not to (travel, surgery, busted ankle, more travel etc)

Played beer league softball in Singapore too. Also got into trail running here in Vietnam for a while, gave it up when I had surgery, havent gone back. Probably should.

That's about all I think.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no team sports - I actually regret it, but I was the definition of "does not play well with others". the only sport competition that I have taken part in (again, something that I regret) was for team obsticle course in the military, and a couple of martial arts ternemants. I have practiced a couple of martial arts, played squash, and lifted weights. ran, very badly, for years, but I can't consider that a sport, for me it was sort of a form of pre-death instalment on hell.

Impulse155

Reaction score
i play soccer, swim, football, wrestle, basketball (some not for school) providing that i am only 15.

Sports you can do. Swim, Soccer, Basketball, Bowl (If you consider it a sport), weight training.

Reaction score
i play lacrosse, flag football and do some light weight training. I played lacrosse in college and won a national championship my freshmen year in D II. My second year in college we lost in the national championship game in double overtime. Now i try and coach at my old high school so i can spread the knowlegde of the game

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrueCustomTailorAtl
i play lacrosse, flag football and do some light weight training. I played lacrosse in college and won a national championship my freshmen year in D II. My second year in college we lost in the national championship game in double overtime. Now i try and coach at my old high school so i can spread the knowlegde of the game
Lacrosse is a fun sport! I wish it would have been available in my area growing up. I didn't get exposed to it until I started going to hockey camps in upstate New York and the New England area. It was non existant in PA. It is just starting to come around in this area.
Originally Posted by Buddy Love
Soccer, "Bodybuilding", Aikido, Taekwondo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Now mainly Aikido, BJJ and strength training.
I am interested in BJJ. I assume that is a good workout? How much practice is involved on a weekly basis? Played Ice Hockey (about 20 years) all the way up to a tryout for the minor leagues, Soccer for about 6 years, Boxing 1 year. Messed around with (play once or twice per year) Tennis (don't really like it), Volley Ball, Bowling (is it even a sport?), Running. I used to love (and I guess I still kinda do) the intensity of ruggedness of hockey but these days, not that I can't play Hockey or Boxing, my body just want to do that stuff as much. Astanga (power) Yoga and bodyweight excercises feel right these days. I really would like to get some pick up soccer going, maybe on Sunday nights and do Astanga (power) yoga and maybe some BJJ during the week.

sonteq

Reaction score
Nice to know a few people on here do BJJ too.

BJJ is an excellent workout because your sparring against a person who will probably push you harder than you may push yourself in the gym. I use to go twice a week but have cut it down to once a week due to old age and injuries. However it's really down to how much time you can spare, the more you go the better you'll be
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads