• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What sport coat with navy/blue trousers

bch

Reaction score
I noticed a hole in my wardrobe: sport coats that coordinate with navy. I understand that navy blazers are not appropriate with nav trousers. What do you guys suggest?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oatmeal-colored tweed?

gardel

Reaction score
I'd say wear pretty much the colors and tones you'd wear in trousers to go with a navy blazer. That would include medium grey, tan, etc. Make sure there's enough contrast between the jacket and the trousers.

johnw86

Reaction score
A gray tweed or herringbone could look nice. I used to have a medium blue tweed sportcoat that looked good with blue trousers.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think gardel puts it well. And like Johnw86, I've worn grey herringbone with navy trousers.

I love navy trousers -- but sometimes feel ill at-ease with my color combos. I'd say that a blue seersucker would work or a cream (or other light color) silk/mohair jacket. Or maybe rust colored (I think Ben Silver grouped a jacket like this with navy trousers in their catalog).

Buster

Reaction score
[/quote] I think gardel puts it well. And like Johnw86, I've worn grey herringbone with navy trousers. I love navy trousers -- but sometimes feel ill at-ease with my color combos. I'd say that a blue seersucker would work or a cream (or other light color) silk/mohair jacket. Or maybe rust colored (I think Ben Silver grouped a jacket like this with navy trousers in their catalog).
Do you mean this one: http://www.bensilver.com/fs_stor....group=1 I think the approach suggested by gardel is a bit restrictive. One of the nice things about a sport coat is that you can really let your self add more funky colors. For example, I would not wear a rustic pair of pants, but it is a nice choice for a jacket. B

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some beautiful navy zanellas that go nicely with a pearl gray silk herringbone sport coat. If that's all the color you want, use a white shirt. If you want more, use a pink shirt. Even the right lilac one. If pink shirt, I have a navy and pink tie that looks great. Nothing wrong with colors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads