Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What sport coat with navy/blue trousers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bch, Jun 5, 2005.

1. bch

bch Senior member

I noticed a hole in my wardrobe: sport coats that coordinate with navy. I understand that navy blazers are not appropriate with nav trousers. What do you guys suggest?

2. Buster

Buster Senior member

3. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Oatmeal-colored tweed?

4. gardel

gardel Well-Known Member

I'd say wear pretty much the colors and tones you'd wear in trousers to go with a navy blazer. That would include medium grey, tan, etc. Make sure there's enough contrast between the jacket and the trousers.

5. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

A gray tweed or herringbone could look nice. I used to have a medium blue tweed sportcoat that looked good with blue trousers.

6. Horace

Horace Senior member

I think gardel puts it well. And like Johnw86, I've worn grey herringbone with navy trousers.

I love navy trousers -- but sometimes feel ill at-ease with my color combos. I'd say that a blue seersucker would work or a cream (or other light color) silk/mohair jacket. Or maybe rust colored (I think Ben Silver grouped a jacket like this with navy trousers in their catalog).

7. Buster

Buster Senior member

[/quote] I think gardel puts it well. And like Johnw86, I've worn grey herringbone with navy trousers. I love navy trousers -- but sometimes feel ill at-ease with my color combos. I'd say that a blue seersucker would work or a cream (or other light color) silk/mohair jacket. Or maybe rust colored (I think Ben Silver grouped a jacket like this with navy trousers in their catalog).

8. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

I have some beautiful navy zanellas that go nicely with a pearl gray silk herringbone sport coat. If that's all the color you want, use a white shirt. If you want more, use a pink shirt. Even the right lilac one. If pink shirt, I have a navy and pink tie that looks great. Nothing wrong with colors.