• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What sort of clothing is appropriate to wear for a Sunday matinee performance of a ballet (Swan Lake

jack1066

Reaction score
I'm a young guy (22) taking my girlfriend (21) to see Swan Lake on NYE (she says it's something she's always wanted to do). Other relevant information is that it's a closing performance (starting at 2 p.m.), Russian state ballet and orchestra of Siberia, at a larger theater but not necessarily a very posh one (it's St David's Hall, Cardiff, UK), and I booked the 2nd most expensive seats.

I want to dress well for my date but I also don't want to appear overdressed, and I'm aware that classical music concerts (at least in my area) are a lot less formal than they have been because I sometimes go to them and have done since I was a small child- not sure if it's the same for ballet.

I was thinking of something along the lines of a sports coat, chinos, some nice brown brogues, a white shirt and maybe a knitted or woolen tie. Is this too much or about right? Should I ditch the tie for a nice jumper (it means I don't need to get my shirt dry cleaned and pressed tbh)? Thanks!

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In an age when billionaires wear hoodies, concerts have indeed gotten less formal, and not only in the provinces. But the lack of a dress code is not in itself a dress code—you are not obligated to present yourself as a douchebag merely because others have decided to do so.

Your suggested attire of a sport coat, chinos and a knitted tie would fall on the more casual side of appropriate concert wear, but these days should be fine in most venues. You will certainly look “overdressed” compared to the nouveau-riche who show up in dad jeans and a hoodie, but in the interest of respecting your date it’s a cross you must bear.

Dress shirts do not need to be dry cleaned, which shortens their life, thus wasting money two ways. At the end of the night, throw your dress shirt in with your regular laundry. Hang it to dry. Press it yourself in under ten minutes. Take the money you’ve saved and buy yourself a pint in the pub.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads