what socks to wear w/ burgundy shoes and charcoal suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by oldboyhip, Apr 13, 2010.

1. oldboyhip

oldboyhip Member

burgundy again would make it look like a boot. maybe a violet or a plum sock?

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Charcoal is the obvious choice, or go with a medium, or light grey a la Will. Note, you are not "supposed" to match your socks to your shoes, you are "supposed" to match them with your trousers.

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I wear charcoal socks with my charcoal suit.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wear charcoal socks with my charcoal suit.

Same here.

5. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

6. glowell222

glowell222 Senior member

Or be a dandy and go with hot pink.

7. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

Charcoal is the safe bet. A mid to light grey is a bolder, but still appropriate choice. Anything else (but white) is dandyish and devil-may-care, if that's what you're going for.

Note that, as with many smaller details in one's ensemble, there can be a fine line between looking devil-may-care and looking like you have no idea what you're doing. To avoid being mistaken for the latter, avoid tones that are just a hair's breadth away from charcoal (black, dark navy, very-dark-but-not-quite-dark-enough grey, dark brown, etc.). Basically, the danger zone contains any color that an unconcerned or unknowing neophyte could conceivably have thrown on in a hurry or in the dark.

8. Captain Winky

Captain Winky Senior member

Charcoal always works, though you can get creative based on what shirt/tie you're wearing. If not matching my socks to my slacks, I like some continuity with at least one other part of the outfit.

9. Guero

Guero Senior member

The "rule," such as it is, is that the socks should be a shade darker than the trousers, not the same color, for the same reason that the sock color shouldn't match the shoes. Of course, as has been said often here, a businessman matches his socks to his trousers, but a gentleman matches his socks to his mood. It's usually best to master the basic rule first and, with that succesfully achieved, you can move to the more advanced devil-may-care or dandified looks well-described above.

10. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I suggest break and lots of it - if you don't have enough fabric, ask your tailor to stitch on more of a similar color.

11. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Match socks to trousers to lengthen the appearance of the legs. Matching socks to shoes will make the legs appear shorter.

12. oldboyhip

oldboyhip Member

yes i know the rules of matching sock to trou and i was actually looking for a dandified suggestion. bottle green? i think i have to check will's posts for inspiration.

13. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Charcoal always works, though you can get creative based on what shirt/tie you're wearing. If not matching my socks to my slacks, I like some continuity with at least one other part of the outfit.

agreed as long as you don't overdue it! If going this direction be careful to not look like you are trying to hard with intricate designs/color combinations