Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What socks can be worn with a navy suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NoNothingGuy, Oct 5, 2009.

1. NoNothingGuy

NoNothingGuy Senior member

I want to spice up a navy suit for an upcoming party. Obviously I could go navy socks, but what else (article of clothing, accessory, etc) can I match my socks to?

I don't know if there are any rules here...

Thanks

2. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

A navy suit is an excellent blank canvas. That's the beauty of it. Wear whatever color socks you feel like. To a more formal occasion, like a business interview or client meeting or what have you, I'd stick with a more conservative color. But to a party or an informal gathering, wear whatever color socks you want.

You'll get a lot of opinions here about "fun socks" and their pros and cons. But there are very few colors that absolutely will not go well with navy. Just don't wear white athletic socks or something.

As for matching, tread carefully. If you want to pick up the color of your socks in one of your accessories (tie, cufflinks, etc.), it's generally fine so long as you're not overdoing it. If you match too many items, you risk looking overly studied and/or cheesy.

3. NoNothingGuy

NoNothingGuy Senior member

hahaha, I won't be wearing my gym socks, I promise.

I guess I mainly want to avoid any fashion faux pas like matching a pocket square to a tie, etc.

Thanks for the response.

4. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

Well, there's "matching" and then there's complementing. Don't wear a tie and pocket square of the exact same color. But you can wear a blue tie and a pocket square that has some blue in it, for instance. You can also wear complementary colors, like blue and red. It takes some experience and a decent eye for color to figure out which colors go well together. But you're right in that avoiding a direct match is usually a good idea.

5. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

I want to spice up a navy suit for an upcoming party. Obviously I could go navy socks, but what else (article of clothing, accessory, etc) can I match my socks to?

Thanks

Solid purple or red socks > navy socks for navy suits.

houndstooth or glenplaid patterned socks in blueish shades worked as well.

6. jkw

jkw Senior member

A nice rich red with a good sheen to it, or if you're feeling adventurous, stripes.

7. intent

intent Senior member

I wore argyle red wool socks, and it looked amazing with black shoes.

8. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I wore argyle red wool socks, and it looked amazing with black shoes.

I think red with dark brown shoes (like the ones in my sig [​IMG] ) could work.

9. intent

intent Senior member

I think red with dark brown shoes (like the ones in my sig [​IMG] ) could work.
    I think navy suits work better with brown shoes for sure. I just had a law firm interview that day and needed to wear the navy suit, red striped tie, white shirt, and PAs. The socks were my nonconformist touch. [​IMG] Got the job though!

10. JelloLover

JelloLover Senior member

Thanks

your only option.....[​IMG]

[​IMG]