• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What small details do you appreciate inordinately?

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stilmacher
I liked Etros hidden labels that had random advise on them or claims like "la nuova tradizione". Genereally I like everything that is most useless.
this thread reminded me of seeing those labels on my etro pants, which are sewn on the inside flap of the fly. i hadn't paid attention before, but decided to see what they said. "cononsci te stesso" = "you know yourself" and "to preserve the center" other details i appreciate are: -pant pockets which have have a hidden button (i don't own any pants that have this, but tried on a pair of ysl's that did and regret not purchasing them, partially for this reason) -linings -the oval windows in certain english made shoes

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Modernist
-full back box pleat, stitched, on shirts (the first thing I check in an OTR shirt, after fit and colour)
-3rd button on the back of the collar of button down shirts

+1, but we come from the same place don't we

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I see many of my favorite things listed already. I might add:

• Paisley silk linings

• A perfect handsewn welt

• Natural patina on leather

• The silly mottos on the soles of Paul Smith shoes ("Every Day is a New Beginning")

Modernist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
+1, but we come from the same place don't we
I guess you are right, although I came upon the pleat thing by accident, and before I knew that it was a mod/skin thing. Some Zara shirts have it (first of which I bought ten yeas ago), and I immediately loved that detail. The thing about both of these though is that I've come to appreciate their function as well. The stitched pleat acts as a dart, without distorting the pattern matching, and it adds some visual interest at the back of the shirt. And the third button keeps the collar neatly against the neck. After all, it's about the details
wink.gif
Oh, and perhaps this belongs to the inferior things appreciation thread, but I still have and wear some of those shirts. Amazing how they held up.

Doc4

Reaction score
A suit jacket with an extra small pocket inside for a pen or two is a big deal for me.

I am particularly interested in how silent or noisy my suit-lining material is ... I don't want to sound like I'm wearing a grass skirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads