• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What slims the hips most: side or centre vent?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other things being equal and with buttoning around the natural waist, say.

Thanks.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a preference for side vents ... but center is the answer ... or if you prefer ... centre.

When I am at my heaviest ... I don't like the way my side vents flair ... rather skirtishly.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
There's no difference if the jacket fits.

If the jacket does not, seek out fatter people with whom to hang out.

- B

Matt S

Reaction score
Side vents are visually more slimming for two reasons:
1) They break up the hips horizontally
2) They extend the leg line

This only applies if the skirt fits well, though I believe poor-fitting side vents are better than poor-fitting centre vents, which will open to expose the buttocks. Poor-fitting skirts without a vent pull at the front and cling to the buttocks at the back.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
If the jacket does not, seek out fatter people with whom to hang out.
I understand that a rather "significant" opera diva is lunching with us tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Matt S
I believe poor-fitting side vents are better than poor-fitting centre vents, which will open to expose the buttocks.
This is indeed true ... but at this point ... there is no point in talking about fit ... it's time to get a new coat. I assumed that the OP was talking about clothing with a proper fit.

My +/- when it comes to weight is no more than 5 pounds difference over 40 years.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Seems like which provides the best slimming effect is going to depend on your build (and I'm not just talking weight, but bone structure, musculature, etc.). I find side vents most flattering for myself, but I know other people who look better in center vents.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The answer to the question that you have asked is 'lose weight'. The question which you should have asked is, 'what hides excess weight more readily?'

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Srynerson
Seems like which provides the best slimming effect is going to depend on your build (and I'm not just talking weight, but bone structure, musculature, etc.). I find side vents most flattering for myself, but I know other people who look better in center vents.
One vent, two vents ... there is definitely a difference in the slimming capacity of one over the other ... and you have hit on a key factor ... the build of the man beneath the coat.

Taxler

Reaction score
I have bespoke jackets each way that are cut on the same exact pattern. The shape is identical, so I don't see how you could argue one is more slimming. In either case the vents stay shut if I'm not moving, so the only point for debate would be what happens to the vents when the wearer sits, bends, or walks; that's probably a unique variable.

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you have a well-tailored suit, to Vox's point, it won't make any difference, as the suit should drape equally well with no vent, center vent or side vents.

However, that being said, on average, a non-vented suit is the most slimming (hugs the body and gives an elongated effect), followed by a center-vented suit (similar reasoning), and finally double vented which has the most opportunity to flair on the sides.

My preference: double vents.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
I have bespoke jackets each way that are cut on the same exact pattern. The shape is identical, so I don't see how you could argue one is more slimming. In either case the vents stay shut if I'm not moving, so the only point for debate would be what happens to the vents when the wearer sits, bends, or walks; that's probably a unique variable.
I too have bespoke jackets each way ... and the cuts are the same. To be honest ... I have jackets each way cut from the same cloth in the same colorway. When worn the shapes are very similar ... but NOT identical ... and yes, the vent/vents stay closed on each. There IS a difference in my opinion. On my build ... the center vent is more slimming.* But I'm slim enough ... and have a preference for the side vents.

*I'm not distinguishing between the visual effect and the actual.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I do have bespoke jackets each way, but there are differences in cut and cloth that make them difficult to compare. I always thought it wouldn't make much of a difference, but the other day I put on an old ventless suit jacket of my father's (Italian bespoke from the 1970's, but quite military Savile Row-ish), and the overall effect seemed slimming to me. Of course there are many other variables at play, and I wouldn't consider ventless SB jackets, but I just thought that a centre vent jacket would be closer in silhouette to a ventless jacket. I might just have to experiment (again).

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I too have bespoke jackets each way ... and the cuts are the same. To be honest ... I have jackets each way cut from the same cloth in the same colorway. When worn the shapes are very similar ... but NOT identical ... and yes, the vent/vents stay closed on each. There IS a difference in my opinion. On my build ... the center vent is more slimming.* But I'm slim enough ... and have a preference for the side vents.

*I'm not distinguishing between the visual effect and the actual.

By visual effect and actual, are you saying that any shape bi-sected by a a single line down the middle tricks the eye into seeing something different than it would if the identical shape were divided by 2 lines- as in a side-vented jacket? Makes sense I suppose, but the lines of closed vents are generally not that prominent, although that would vary by fabric and pattern.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads