• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Size Trench Do I Need?

Sean Archer

Reaction score
What are the little metal loops at the back for? And the underside of the collar on the left has a piece of fabric with 3 buttons, what is that for?

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sean Archer
Aqua. It's in perfect condition. Just the leather buckles look like they've been rubbed a bit at the edges and there is no lining.

Cool steal. Enjoy it!!

What are the little metal loops at the back for? And the underside of the collar on the left has a piece of fabric with 3 buttons, what is that for?

I believe the metal loops on the belt were carried over from the original trench coat during WWI. It was there so that soldiers could attach equipment onto them.

On my Burberrys trench, the underside of the collar has only 2 buttons and a belt buckle. That's basically at throat latch to cover your entire neck when you have the collar up.

Albern

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUASCUTUM-Mens-...item3ca8065654

See my trench's collar is like this one. Metal hooks at the neck and that strange flap of fabric under the left side of the collar. That thing isn't long enought to wrap around the opening at the front of the neck.

I can see a button on the right side of the collar when flipped up. Also, it looks like there is an additional length of fabric behind what is visible in the ebay pic. Are you sure you can't detach the entire piece and have it cover the small opening when the metal hooks are joined? (sorry if this sounds like a stupid question)

Sean Archer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
I can see a button on the right side of the collar when flipped up. Also, it looks like there is an additional length of fabric behind what is visible in the ebay pic. Are you sure you can't detach the entire piece and have it cover the small opening when the metal hooks are joined? (sorry if this sounds like a stupid question)
It works! Apparently my ability to judge how a trench works is quite poor. This is my first one
biggrin.gif
It's amazing how perfectly it fits when it's all buttoned up.

Albern

Reaction score
It works! Apparently my ability to judge how a trench works is quite poor. This is my first one
biggrin.gif

It's amazing how perfectly it fits when it's all buttoned up.

Ah, finally some progress.
smile.gif

It's a nice looking trench too.

Sean Archer

Reaction score
Progress indeed.

Next, I suppose I shall have to have it cleaned somehow. I don't really understand why these need to be dry cleaned, do you? It seems to be made of cotton and polyester. I have no clue what the checked inside lining is made of, but it feels like cotton.

Albern

Reaction score
I might be wrong but I've heard it could be because of the waterproofing abilities that were applied when the fabric was being woven (no longer just relying on pure cotton gabardine). Also, much like cotton trousers that need to be dry cleaned, it might also have something to do with the lining getting all out of proportion (shrinking) if an item gets thrown in the wash.

It wouldn't risk not sending it to the cleaners.

Sean Archer

Reaction score
Ya. Only $25 so far, so another $20 won't even be a dent. I don't really get why these sell for say, $400-$1000 dollars though.

Albern

Reaction score
I know what you mean. In fact they actually go for much higher than that brand new. It might have to do with the high fashion label pricing (Burberry moreso than Aqua in my opinion). I had to pay towards to upper price point in that range just to get a traditional NOS Burberry.
blush.gif
As far as trenches go both of these companies are regarded as having the best quality. On mine the button holes are done by hand as my tailor had pointed out, so it wasn't a bad buy for me.

Sean Archer

Reaction score
Does that mean horn buttons? These buttons look like plastic. They are all identical :p, if dull.

Albern

Reaction score
On mine I believe they are horn, highly polished so I'm not 100% sure. Even if they are horn I don't think that factor plays into the high cost of these trenches.

Sean Archer

Reaction score
Ah well. I still have things to look forward to then. Horn buttons and MOP buttons will still be exciting when I see them.

Sean Archer

Reaction score
Well I was too lazy to take it to the dry cleaners so I hand washed in cold water and a little liquid detergent. Then I rinsed twice and spun dry 4 or 5 times, soaking it each time (effectively rinsing again and again).

Sadly the coat is ruined from the water.

jk

The coat is fine. A raincoat that can't take water? Cmon...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads