• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What size shirt? Button-down with no tie, but big Adam's Apple :(

Reaction score
If I have to wear a tie, I have to wear a 17.5 to an 18 to get something that doesn't choke me. Big Adam's Apple gets in the way.
frown.gif

If it's a button-down collar and I'm never going to be wearing a tie, do I still need to go with the larger neck size? My normal suit size is a 42, and I wear large polos. On the smaller side of large (6'0, 180lbs in decent shape).

My concern is going with a 17.5 shirt and it wearing like an extra large. Or do I need to size down to say a 16 which would be more in line with a large?

No decent stores around here to do hands on testing. Would like some guidance before ordering online.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Post pics of Adam's Apple, brah.

Maybe you are just wearing collars that are too high for you. Your collar shouldn't be coming over your Adam's Apple. If it is really large they have surgeries for that now. I believe the ******'s are getting it done.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones
If it's a button-down collar and I'm never going to be wearing a tie, do I still need to go with the larger neck size?

Only if you plan on doing up the collar button. Collar buttoned but no tie is not what I would imagine to be a flattering look.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones
My concern is going with a 17.5 shirt and it wearing like an extra large.

If you go made to measure then you'd be able to get a large neck while having the body as slim as you want.

Reaction score
And yeah I know it shouldn't cover the Adam's Apple, it's just a big neck
frown.gif
And yuppers on the mtm, but looking at off the rack sometimes if it's priced well enough. But if I'm not buttoning the top button, ever, then can just go with say a size 16 which is roughly a large / 42 suit size no?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Trying things on will always trump guessing or asking for advice on a forum. I know some shops don't like you taking shirts out of the packages but even then they should have some unpacked shirts for you to try on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads