• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What size men's overcoat would be ideal for a 5 foot 9 bloke?

MakinItHappen

Reaction score
I was given a male over coat (for suits) for my biirthday and i'm not too sure as to whether its too long in length for me.

It reaches about an inch and a half below my knee bone and i feel completely dwarfed in it, even tho i am just below the average height for a male. Its a size 38, is that too big for a 5,8/5,9 athetic build young male?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MakinItHappen
I was given a male over coat (for suits) for my biirthday and i'm not too sure as to whether its too long in length for me.

It reaches about an inch and a half below my knee bone and i feel completely dwarfed in it, even tho i am just below the average height for a male. Its a size 38, is that too big for a 5,8/5,9 athetic build young male?

the size sounds about right, would be better if it's a 38S I guess.

But what matters more is the brand, some are cut very trim, some fit like a big paper bag.

Follow your instincts?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coats that hit right around the knee are of a non-ideal length, I think. They should be either well below the knee or a few inches above the knee. But you are probably better off getting the coats fitted at a tailor. If you get the sides brought in, it will fit you much better and won't look like a hacked-off cowboy duster.

MakinItHappen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
the size sounds about right, would be better if it's a 38S I guess.

But what matters more is the brand, some are cut very trim, some fit like a big paper bag.

Follow your instincts?

My instincts suggest me to get something shorter, it seems to small, yet i can't trust me instincts as i have never had the best fashion sense. lol

Without the overcoat.

With the overcoat.

MakinItHappen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Coats that hit right around the knee are of a non-ideal length, I think. They should be either well below the knee or a few inches above the knee. But you are probably better off getting the coats fitted at a tailor. If you get the sides brought in, it will fit you much better and won't look like a hacked-off cowboy duster.

Thanks for the info and i can see where your coming from. I don't want to go to the trouble of having it fitted by a tailor, i am content with wearing the size closest to my fit, now what size that is, i have no idea, i guess i'll have to get myself measured @ the store.

It is a 38 Regular

What is the difference between a 38 Regular and a 38 Small?

dopamine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MakinItHappen
Thanks for the info and i can see where your coming from. I don't want to go to the trouble of having it fitted by a tailor, i am content with wearing the size closest to my fit, now what size that is, i have no idea, i guess i'll have to get myself measured @ the store.

It is a 38 Regular

What is the difference between a 38 Regular and a 38 Small?

S stands for Short, not for Small. The R and S designations after the size are based upon your general height. The 5'8" to 5'9" is right around the top end of S and the bottom end of R.

MakinItHappen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopamine
S stands for Short, not for Small. The R and S designations after the size are based upon your general height. The 5'8" to 5'9" is right around the top end of S and the bottom end of R.

Okay cool. Thanks for clearing that up for me, helps a lot when i know what i'm dealing with. What about the cashmere overcoats now?

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...=15056#reviews

Does the same rule apply for them? 5,8 to 5,9 around top end of S and bottom end of R and if so... am i looking @ a 36 or a 38?

phillyesq

Reaction score
A lot of it really depends on brand. I have one overcoat that is a 38R, one that is a 38S, and both fit about the same and look fine. You might also want to consider what you're going to be wearing with the coat. If it is more casual or business casual, then something like the coat you linked to makes a lot of sense. If you're going to be wearing it with a suit, you might want something longer (well below the knee).

bobe

Reaction score
Hi, I have an smilar question, I wanna buy my first sportcoat, probably here on Styleforum, but do not know what size to take, I'm 21yr, 6 ft tall, 175 pounds, waist 34-35 and chest 41
please help, I'm pretty confused with size choosing

thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads