• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What size in Ben Sherman?

bruiser93

Reaction score
What size in Ben Sherman slim button-downs would someone need that wears between large and extra-large in common t-shirts? Similarly priced brands seem to fit differently and there's nowhere to try on some Ben Sherman locally, but I owned a couple of shirts that I really liked some years ago, but I've gotten larger since.

This is my first post here, and after browsing around I might stay awhile. I've never been into fashion and if it wasn't for formal or work wear, and I am normally in t-shirts and denim that hardly fits properly. I've been wanting to get away form that and start dressing better, since clothes 'make the man' in many ways, and is one of the very first things people will notice when meeting someone. I'm into the British mod/skinhead fashion to some degree, but want to look modern, and on the cheap (no designer wear for me). Anyways, enough of the introduction, and thanks if you can help with my initial question.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.bensherman.com/webapp/wcs...gHelp_-1_10551 is the link to their sizing guide. I think they may have overhauled their shirt ranges recently and they fit slimmer than they used to be and got rid of a few ranges. So the old stock may still be floating around somewhere and measurements be a little different with even difference in collar measurement.

I'm a small usually for both tshirts and ben sherman shirts, although it appears that compared with other brands at department stores, ben sherman shirts have narrower shoulders.

Also maybe you can go to moderntailor and get the $20 shirt made to your measurements and lots of style options to choose from. Quality appears to be decent enough according to feedback from the modern tailor thread here.

Neb

Reaction score
I would go for extra large then. I have a slim fit suit from them and it's definitely on the slimmer side of things

bruiser93

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
http://www.bensherman.com/webapp/wcs...gHelp_-1_10551 is the link to their sizing guide. I think they may have overhauled their shirt ranges recently and they fit slimmer than they used to be and got rid of a few ranges. So the old stock may still be floating around somewhere and measurements be a little different with even difference in collar measurement.

I'm a small usually for both tshirts and ben sherman shirts, although it appears that compared with other brands at department stores, ben sherman shirts have narrower shoulders.

Also maybe you can go to moderntailor and get the $20 shirt made to your measurements and lots of style options to choose from. Quality appears to be decent enough according to feedback from the modern tailor thread here.

According to the charts, I should wear about a large, but if I remember correctly the sizes I owned before were large which I eventually outgrew when I got into working out more often. XL might be the best bet, but the sizes on the chart don't match what I would normally think I need. There's really only one way to find out though. I will look into Modern Tailer too. Thanks!

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm like you, most shirts I fit in between a L and XL. Always an XL in Ben Sherman and in some cases they won't even fit me. XL would be on the safe side.

I believe there was also another string about the difference between the Brit and American Ben Sherman lines and in Soho they had both. I haven't tried the Brit stuff, so that might also make a difference.

VeloTime

Reaction score
I have a couple short sleeve BS shirts with two different cuts. Both are Med. I could get away with a small in the Mod fit, but the Soho fit is quite a bit slimmer. If it's the Soho cut definitely go with the larger size.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
reviving an old thread, same question for the Ben Sherman Plectrum soho fit shirts. I'm a size 40regular (15.75 - 16" shirt, chest about 41", 32" waist). not sure if i should wait until April to get the shirt i want/ whether it will be in the 5th ave store.....medium or large?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads