• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what size am I? shirt sizing

StripedZebra

Reaction score
Hello, new member here... How do you determine your shirt size? My concern is with the seams on my shirt sloping over my shoulders . I have some t-shirts sized M that fit perfectly and some that are off by 2-3 inches. Then I thought if I always go with S than I would get it right. some dress shirts are also sized S/M/L as opposed to neck/sleeve sizing. I need guidance. Is there a set standard that I should go with? My measurements: height: 5'9 / 175cm weight: 140 lbs / 66kg - correction 63.5 neck: 14.5" chest: 36.5" shoulders: (joint to joint from the back): 17" like this
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Also, would you say I am small framed by these measurements or average?

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you are very underweight

there are variances in size from manufacture to manufacture...

we dont know how long your arms are

theres a 99% chance you will need off-the-rack clothing altered to fit you well

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BMI about 21, he's not underweight.

looks like a standard 36 short, maybe a 36 regular, in suits. pretty straight-up run-of-the-mill standard Small sizing.

t-shirts are no kind of benchmark, fwiw.

Mariooo

Reaction score
can't imagine that a M would fit you perfectly..not even closely..

my guess would be 14.5 neck size, or as others have mentioned S, maybe XS

you are on the skinny side, so slim fit is a must

edit:
whoops, you talked about t-shirts when you mentioned M...
forget that.. try some dress shirts to get the right neck size... then you can look for shoulder width, chest/waist, and how shirts from different makers,with different cuts, fit you..

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Definitely a small. I'm about the same height, but weigh 180 lbs and I wear a medium.

StripedZebra

Reaction score
Wow, you make me feel undersized.

Any of you my height/weight who were small?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at 5'9" and 36 inch chest, you should never wear a US medium ever.

the only exception is if you have extremely long arms. doesn't sound like you do.

small and sometimes XS for you

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StripedZebra
Wow, you make me feel undersized. Any of you my height/weight who were small?
I'm a bit smaller than you, but I expect that like me you will find it very hard to find OTR shirts which don't fit like tents, especially if you are buying S/M/L sized dress-shirts (which, tbh, you shouldn't be doing to begin with). You will need to buy S/XS or (preferably) 14.5, so the neck fits, then have them tailored to slim down the body, or get shirts made to measure.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, you make me feel undersized.

Any of you my height/weight who were small?

Unless my calculator is broken 66kg is 145lbs.

You're listing a mix of metric and Imperial. Are you buying in the US? Or elsewhere? S/M/L varies between countries.

StripedZebra

Reaction score
Thank you for replying.

You base size on chest size/weight? I was concerned with the sloping shoulder seams. I wanted to know If I'm a small because of my shoulder width.

Just for comparison, If you are about my height, can you tell me measurements.

StripedZebra

Reaction score
@Nicola:

Right 140 = 63 1/2 kg, thank you for the correction

Outside US.

i also noticed that on sports brands (Adidas, Nike...) A small is medium in Italy, France, Ireland and other non US/UK countries

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then there is no point worrying about US sizing.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Hello, new member here...

How do you determine your shirt size? My concern is with the seams on my shirt sloping over my shoulders .

This is an issue with ready-to-wear dress shirts for me, too. I'm amazed at how much variability there is, even among rtw shirts that are sized by collar size and sleeve length. I have some 16-33 shirts where the collar seam is in just the right place, and others where it droops well off my shoulder. I've started throwing out or donating the latter, and moving to made-to-measure shirts to avoid that problem altogether. The only other options are to give up on online purchasing, or resign yourself to having to return the droopy-shouldered shirts.

Now that I've been doing made-to-measure, the droopy shoulders really bother me.

StripedZebra

Reaction score
@Nicola

You see I bought a Reebok track suit that was tagged Small. I wasn't concerned with the fit then, but now I see even though its tagged small, its actually big (doesn't fit shoulder right).

The fact that a small = medium outside the US makes it troublesome buying american brands

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads