• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should this Oxxford sell for?

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try the jacket on in the oxxford store today, it fits rather big around the waist of the coat, but the suit retails for 2600 in the store.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If it's new and unworn, then $661 is an ok price. If used, then it's a bit pricey.
brokenrecord.jpg

Dude, at least look at the auction before you post. The suit is OBVIOUSLY new. You're driving me nuts by posting the same sour song every time ebay is mentioned. Also, $661 is a GREAT price, not an ok price.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What is a "Gibbons" model? Anyone know the retail value of this suit?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Oxxford-NWT-Navy...QQcmdZViewItem
Gibbons is one of Oxxford's better models. It is probably the softest coat that Oxxford makes. It is not particularly fitted as has been noted, but is not quite a sack suit either. Retail would range from$2500-$3200 depending on where you buy it.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
brokenrecord.jpg
Dude, at least look at the auction before you post. The suit is OBVIOUSLY new. You're driving me nuts by posting the same sour song every time ebay is mentioned. Also, $661 is a GREAT price, not an ok price.

That and giving the exact same advice to every person no matter what their suit dilemma.

hadecker

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be a leap to buy a suit online without the experience that it would fit? I guess if you try it on in a store then it makes it an easier decision.

horton

Reaction score
Looks like some posters either stayed up too late last night or got up too early this a.m. and either way were a little cranky.

KB I thought your post was fine and hope they don't discourage you.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
KB, can you please enlighten us about what brick and mortar store it is that has navy Oxxfords for less than $600 on a regular basis? Yes, I will grant you that from time to time, there are incredible deals at discounters- the suede Mackays for $85 or the Brioni suit for ~$125 come to mind. That said, the frequency of such deals is many orders of magnitude below that of ebay. Also, not everyone lives near a Last Call.

As far as your comment, hadecker, it's a good idea to try on all of the major labels at b&m stores if you're going to get serious about ebay. Also, you can get a pretty good idea by comparing the sellers measurements to those of a jacket you own that fits well.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
KB, can you please enlighten us about what brick and mortar store it is that has navy Oxxfords for less than $600 on a regular basis? Yes, I will grant you that from time to time, there are incredible deals at discounters- the suede Mackays for $85 or the Brioni suit for ~$125 come to mind. That said, the frequency of such deals is many orders of magnitude below that of ebay. Also, not everyone lives near a Last Call.

As far as your comment, hadecker, it's a good idea to try on all of the major labels at b&m stores if you're going to get serious about ebay. Also, you can get a pretty good idea by comparing the sellers measurements to those of a jacket you own that fits well.

I agree! The $600 NWT desirable Oxxford suit matches anything I've seen at Neiman's Last Call and similar discounters. The $600 Oxxford really was an Ebay "Bargain"(hate to use that word, how about Value)!

And, I'll say that NWT $125 Brioni suits are uncommon! Have you ever seen a NWT Brioni suit that is remotely desirable for $125? Truly, just about never at the discounters, and almost never on Ebay!

I too think a $600 NWT Oxxford is a great value, bargain, whatever! To think you will do better at the discounters(Filene's, Saks OF, Neiman's LC, etc) you had better have a lot of time and luck!

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks like some posters either stayed up too late last night or got up too early this a.m. and either way were a little cranky.

KB I thought your post was fine and hope they don't discourage you.
Thanks for the insight horton. Funny thing is, I still feel the same so I must be "cranky " this afternoon as well.

ACDoyle

Reaction score
$600 is a good price on Oxxford suit, the only B&M store to have them for less was Carroll & Co. in Beverly Hills (annual sale)-they were $500 each.

pkincy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hadecker
Wouldn't it be a leap to buy a suit online without the experience that it would fit? I guess if you try it on in a store then it makes it an easier decision.

And I think that is where the value perception difference lies. If this suit fits the purchaser, if it is as described, it it is of the wool weight the purchaser desires, if it hasn't been altered, if it hasn't been mismeasured, if it hasn't been misrepresented in some way, than it is truly a screaming deal at $661 plus postage.

However if any of the above have happened you get to donate it to charity or a close friend that it does fit or satisfy and you are out $680 or so and do not have a suit that you can use. Mainly since the seller will not take returns and you can not try it on, feel the wool, or look at the suit.

And if you buy enough on Ebay you will run into one or all of the problems stated above. So every purchaser needs to add a "reserve" if you will that will allow them to cover these deals that don't work out. If that reserve for KB is 100% than the adjusted cost of the suit is $1322 and while a good deal it is no longer a screaming deal. If the "lost money or can't use" reserve is only 50% than the adjusted cost of the suit is less than $1000 and again is in the screaming deal category.

I had occasion to find a 42L (my size) Oxxford Gibbons in the recent NM sale. Lovely suit in tan wool for summer. When I tried it on it turns out this was a MTM special order and although clearly labeled a 42L it was closer to a 42XXL. Not wearable. With a most careful Ebay seller than it would have been carefully measured and you would see how long it was. With a less than careful seller with no returns than you are out of luck.

So if you are going to buy on Ebay you need to be certain that you are dealing with a very reputable seller. And others have said this one (Classy Closet) is a reputable seller. So we are probably in the screaming deal category.

Perry

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ACDoyle
$600 is a good price on Oxxford suit, the only B&M store to have them for less was Carroll & Co. in Beverly Hills (annual sale)-they were $500 each.

Do you know if Carroll & Co. has still has that annual sale including Oxxford? And if so, do they have common sizes and desirable(solid Navy & Charcoal, Pinstripes)suits for $500?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$661 is a very good (but not unusual) price for a classic, navy blue SB Oxxford in a popular size like 44R. The best you'll get at any Filene's is @ $750 I think -- regular price $999, minus 25% (sometimes $200 instead) during a suit sale. OK, you might be able to snag one from a less well-known seller in an auction that ends at 3a.m., but you'll still pay at least upper $500s.

Also, keep in mind that this Ebay seller seems to have a regular supply of Oxxford suits. I've seen him start off bidding on some (all are brand new) at $499. The point being -- don't get into a bidding war as next week he may have the identical suit listed. I've bought from this seller too -- he's reliable in my experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads