1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What should the proper length of a peacoat be?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lsquare, Dec 3, 2006.

1. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but for what should a proper length be for a peacoat? Should it hit my thigh? My knees? Or at my waistline? Thanks.

2. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Peacoats are usually the same length as a suit jacket, hitting at the end of the buttocks. I've seen some that are a bit higher though.

3. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

Peacoats are usually the same length as a suit jacket, hitting at the end of the buttocks. I've seen some that are a bit higher though.

Near the end of my buttocks or my thigh in the front? Just slightly above the knees right?

4. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Well, here's a picture of mine so you can see what I mean. They aren't slightly above the knees usually, unless you're referring to that 3/4 length one on BR's website or an officer's bridge coat. [​IMG]

5. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

1" or so longer than a suit jacket.

6. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

7. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

That's not always the case though... like I said, some are shorter than that on purpose.

8. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

Well, here's a picture of mine so you can see what I mean. They aren't slightly above the knees usually, unless you're referring to that 3/4 length one on BR's website or an officer's bridge coat.

[​IMG]

The picture is kind of small. Do you have a larger one?

9. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

10. thelion1856

thelion1856 Senior member

u need it perfect size, covering your but but above your knee. if its too short i think it looks tacky, if its too long it looks like your wearing a dress.

11. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Um... so overcoats look like dresses? I don't follow your logic. And shorter peacoats can look pretty chic if you ask me, much like shorter suit jackets.

12. j

j Senior member Admin

1" or so longer than a suit jacket.
    +1

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Seems like an easy question to me. A peacoat should be exactly this long: [​IMG] One the same length as a suitcoat is just plain wrong and looks like you don't know what size you wear.

14. j

j Senior member Admin

To be honest, that looks a little long to me, but it might just be due to the angle.

15. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

I just went to try this coat out at BR today:

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...687&pid=433370

The peacoat is just slightly above my knee. It's about 10-13 centimetre above my knees. Is that too long? From the picture, it does seem like this is a extra long peacoat. It doesn't seem like in that pic, the jacket is about an inch below the waist.

16. King Francis

King Francis Senior member

Generally I would say about 1" longer than a suit jacket, but as Jovan said, a slightly shorter one can also look good. It depends on the individual and the style they're going for. Peacoats are also traditionally quite boxy and rather roomy, but a tighter and/or more tapered fit isn't inappropriate, as long as you don't go overboard.

And yeah, iammatt's looks long to me, too. Could be the picture. But generally, I would rather have a peacoat 1/2-1" shorter than standard as opposed to 1/2-1" longer. To my eye, peacoats that are too long make one's legs look stumpy.

17. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

I just went to try this coat out at BR today:

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...687&pid=433370

The peacoat is just slightly above my knee. It's about 10-13 centimetre above my knees. Is that too long? From the picture, it does seem like this is a extra long peacoat. It doesn't seem like in that pic, the jacket is about an inch below the waist.

You know what guys? I just looked at the coat again and I noticed it said a three-quarter peacoat. I think that explains why it hits my thigh, though it's just ever so slightly (about 12cm) above my knees. Is this a unconventional length for peacoat?

18. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, it is a stylized version of a classic