• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should I wear with this suit?

Champy

Reaction score

What shirt other than this can be worn with this suit color? I plan on finding shoes with this color, a tanned leather but I think they will be brogues.
Also, a recommendation of a tie/ bowtie would be much appreciated and please do tell if you think I should wear one or not. I want to wear a hank as well so please do throw in some suggestions. I am thinking a belt with the color as close as possible to the shoes? In case you are wondering where I plan to wear this suit, it's my prom.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's prom - the shirt should be white. The suit color and shoe color already are pushing it. The pocket square (don't call it a "hanky") probably should be white, but cream or perhaps burgundy would be okay. The belt should be brown, but darker than those shoes.Brogues are not for prom.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming you are against wearing a tuxedo to prom (something I highly encourage you to reconsider, do a search for "Prom" for suggestions if interested), I would go with a plain white shirt, white linen pocket handkerchief and a solid tie with a conservative color (burgundy, blue, grey).

The suit you have chosen is not particularly formal or conservative, so I'd suggest everything else you wear with it should be as conservative as possible to minimize the extent to which it looks a bit casual for the occasion. Medium to dark brown dress shoes and belt. In general, you really should wear black shoes to an evening formal event but I just don't see black shoes going well with a suit in such a light blue color.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 2 suits that are approximately that shade. If you don't like solid white, you can wear a white microcheck shirt with it. You can wear lavender and ecru with it. You can wear burgundy and blue plaids with it. You can wear light grey with it. It's a pretty versatile suit OP.

EDIT!!!!!:

I didn't read the last line. Don't wear that to your prom (unless it's a day-time, outdoor event). Wear a tuxedo with a white shirt.

Last edited:

Champy

Reaction score
It's prom - the shirt should be white. The suit color and shoe color already are pushing it. The pocket square (don't call it a "hanky") probably should be white, but cream or perhaps burgundy would be okay. The belt should be brown, but darker than those shoes.Brogues are not for prom.
I thought about it and yes, I think the shirt must be white. I wanted to add a bit of color with the pocket square, maybe something like plaid but after reading a lot of threads here, I am kind of changing my mind.
Assuming you are against wearing a tuxedo to prom (something I highly encourage you to reconsider, do a search for "Prom" for suggestions if interested), I would go with a plain white shirt, white linen pocket handkerchief and a solid tie with a conservative color (burgundy, blue, grey).

The suit you have chosen is not particularly formal or conservative, so I'd suggest everything else you wear with it should be as conservative as possible to minimize the extent to which it looks a bit casual for the occasion. Medium to dark brown dress shoes and belt. In general, you really should wear black shoes to an evening formal event but I just don't see black shoes going well with a suit in such a light blue color.
I am not against a tuxedo for the prom but since this is not a classic movie-like prom I think I will be better of with something slightly more casual. We are having a dinner in a restaurant then we all go to a night club so I am not sure if I will fit in with a tuxedo, furthermore for our age, we are all 18 or 19, nobody will be wearing anything as formal or as conservative as we suppose to. I like this color a lot especially because I will be the only one wearing a color like this and I like to be different than the rest. I understood you about the shirt and the rest of the clothing, I should be as formal as possible to suit the occasion. I too think that black shoes will not go along with this color. I am not sure if I should wear a tie or not but I will definitely wear a pocket square. I need to get a couple, some white of different materials and some colorful and see what should I put in my pocket from there.
Thank you both for the friendly advices.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tuxedo advice was offered under the assumption that this was a usual prom where people things that can pretend to be called black tie. If nobody is going to be wearing a tuxedo and everyone will be in a suit or something similar, then you'll be fine.

Champy

Reaction score
I have 2 suits that are approximately that shade. If you don't like solid white, you can wear a white microcheck shirt with it. You can wear lavender and ecru with it. You can wear burgundy and blue plaids with it. You can wear light grey with it. It's a pretty versatile suit OP.

EDIT!!!!!:

I didn't read the last line. Don't wear that to your prom (unless it's a day-time, outdoor event). Wear a tuxedo with a white shirt.
I was thinking a lavander or chamapagne but I changed my mind and will stick to a solid and clean white. Thank you though :)
The tuxedo advice was offered under the assumption that this was a usual prom where people things that can pretend to be called black tie. If nobody is going to be wearing a tuxedo and everyone will be in a suit or something similar, then you'll be fine.
This will most certainly not be a black tie like event :) Most people will be in jeans and a jacket or in a suit that's in the middle of formal and casual so I think I will survive in this suit.
I am having it tailored and the materials will be delivered tomorrow so I am very excited to have my first tailored suit and that's why I am seeking advice and perfection :)

Champy

Reaction score
So I just wanted to show you what the suit looks like till now, it still has some work but I think it's pretty much coming to an end. Here are some photos and I will be sure to post new ones ones the suit is fully finished.

Leonardo Da Vinci

Reaction score
padded shoulders......patch pockets? I don't like much this combination, btw coming to your question, I'd take off for sure those shoes and that shirt:
take a pair of burgundy shoes, and a shirt with larger wings collar: spread collar or italian's one, it's up to you, but not so short as the one you're wearing in these pics.
You can take even a white shirt and a wine/bordeaux tie. Or even, black shoes, light blue shirt in popeline and a light grey tie, but not silk one, better a cashmere/linen one. It makes your look more casual, cause the silk tie would shine too much, so better to choice a cashmere/linen one as I said.
ok, gave you 2 options I like: are quite formal. If you need something more causal I've already something in my mind

Champy

Reaction score
The shoulders need to be brought in and the pants will be shortened and a bit tightened. The pockets are not patched, you are mistaken :)
The shirt will be changed of course and I am planning an all white, a rather formal shirt. As for the shoes, I am not planning on changing them since I got this look from the photo in the first post of the thread and I like it very much. I actually tried the suit with black shoes and I was not fond of the look.
Thank you for the advices everyone! :)

johnvw

Reaction score
Understanding that I am late to this discussion and that you seem to have decided on this look, I nevertheless have a question. If I may ask, why do you like the way this suit looks with brown shoes better than with black ones?

Welcome to SF, and have a great time (while observing necessary proprieties) at the prom!

Champy

Reaction score
Hi John,

Well I know that navy suits can be worn with black, camel, tan or oxblood-colored footwear so I decided with this color once I tried the shoes.
I mean it's not terribly looking with the black shoes but I like it more this way, maybe because I am still inexperienced but I have already decided and I think it's pretty sure I'll wear these :)
Thank you for the good wishes!

Champy

Reaction score
Today was my final tryout and here are the fixed pants. What remains is the shoulder padding to be shortened/ brought in and the jacket collar to be constructed as well as to add buttons to the sleeves and to the front of the jacket. There was a comment that the pockets are patched and I just want to imply that they are neither patched nor false pockets.
So what do you think?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads