• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should I wear to my High School Prom

KillaKeyz

Reaction score
I'm 16 and graduation is next year I have the money now to buy the suit n **** so what should I get? I'm currently 5'7" about 140 pounds. SO i'm skinny enough to get all the good stuff. This is my first time buying a real suit and not some bullshit one. I was thinking of getting the Christian DIor Suit like Kanye's but idk. any suggestions. I believe I wear a Size 36R. I know I'm going to have to get it tailored i'm sure you have some reputable tailors around NYC. Also, what accessories should I get? I wear about a size 9-9.5 U.S what shoes should I get? I want to be stylish and be able to show off for my friends while at the same time not being overly expensive.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KillaKeyz
I want to be stylish and be able to show off for my friends while at the same time not being overly expensive.

Whats overly expensive?

dasai

Reaction score
1. You are still in high school, but now would be a good time to learn to type things out "longhand" and stop using teenage-girl abbreviations like "n" for "and" and "idk" for "I don't know". This is the internet, but there's still a noticeable difference between the net-speak literate adults deign to use, and the incoherent over-abbreviation typical of SMS. You're unlikely to run into a character limit here, so make use of those extra letters. 2. Going after a designer brand because a celebrity wears it is not a good idea. It will look different on you. Find something that works for you, and pay attention to fit. An expensive designer suit will look like crap if it doesn't fit properly. 3. Being able to show off to your friends is one thing, but consider also quality and styling for use past high school. A good pair of black cap-toe oxford shoes in decent leather should last you well into your adult life, if taken care of properly. 4. It would help to know what "overly expensive" is for you. You are a high school student; some of the people on this board are influential figures with six-figure salaries. I, for one, am a schoolteacher. We can better tailor our suggestions to your needs if we know your budget. 5. It's your prom. Isn't there anyone who wears a tuxedo anymore?!

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear a traditional tux. Get one that fits, and you'll really stand out. Plus, you won't have to bury the embarrassing pictures later.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't go to your prom. Proms are depressing affairs and in today's world if you do manage to sneak enough alcohol to your date to get her to allow you to have sexual relations you'll just wind up being charged with ****.

Take the money you were going to spend on your prom and go to a whorehouse instead. You'll have a much better time.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Don't go to your prom. Proms are depressing affairs and in today's world if you do manage to sneak enough alcohol to your date to get her to allow you to have sexual relations you'll just wind up being charged with ****.

Take the money you were going to spend on your prom and go to a whorehouse instead. You'll have a much better time.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

lol8[1].gif

HPress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman

+1. I refused to go to senior prom. (I had attended in a previous year, and I hated it.)

I don't even understand the premise really. You spend $$$ to dress up in a poorly fitted tux and ride in a limo to dance and grind to top-40 crap hip-hop and pop while you're being watched by all your favorite teachers.

blackboard_knowledge

Reaction score
I am a strong proponent of the prom. Prom is a time where one should wear something that they will regret for the rest of their lives, particularly when your future girlfriend(s) / wife(s) go through your photo albums.

Your energy and passion for both name brands and the attention of your classmates is a step in the right direction. Use that as much as you can in your decision-making process, for as a man, you only have two opportunities in life --prom and your bachelor party-- to be a total a-hole in public and still retain your teeth at the end of the evening.

If I were you, I would put more of my time and resources toward a tacky white stretch Hummer that you will be WOOOOing out of the sunroof until your throat hurts, and how to get your friend's loser brother, Tony, to score you wine coolers and a bottle of Malibu for your dates.

But, if you really are here to cull useful advice, the truth is that you should NOT buy a tuxedo. You are 16 and 140lbs. You will only be this size until you are at most 18, at which point you will (1) start drinking in college and will get fat, or (2) will start lifting weights, as the short-and-skinny look only works with girls, if at all, when one is in high school. Another words, you are going to spend a lot of money for an ephemeral look.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackboard_knowledge
But, if you really are here to cull useful advice, the truth is that you should NOT buy a tuxedo. You are 16 and 140lbs. You will only be this size until you are at most 18, at which point you will (1) start drinking in college and will get fat, or (2) will start lifting weights, as the short-and-skinny look only works with girls, if at all, when one is in high school. Another words, you are going to spend a lot of money for an ephemeral look.

This is, I'm afraid, brutally accurate.

ktrp

Reaction score
Get a rental that you won't be crying about in the morning when you realize has 3 or more bodily fluids on it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads