• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should I order for a new overcoat?

vc2000

Reaction score
I am going to order a new overcoat on my next trip to ww Chan in China. Any recommendations on style or fabric?

I have one they made. Or I had one. It was lost on a recent business trip.

I like a double breasted overcoat for warmth but I find it difficult to manage sometimes with all the buttons. When I travel I frequently in and out of hotels, offices, hotels, cars, planes. Unbutton, button... I live near SF so most of the coat usage will be on the road. NYC, London and Europe on business trips. I'm 6'4 so I want something that fits my frame. I'm tempted to get some waist suppression but maybe this isn't a great idea? I'd also like to wear this coat for a long time. It will probably be left eventually at my apt. in NYC.

On the color. I bought a vicuna coat that is the deep rich vicuna caramel color. This coat is too delicate for business travel wear, it would be a crime to trash that coat on the road. I save this one for better wear.

Any advices would be appreciated. I am happy with ww Chan but I have to admit that I hate to experiment with an overcoat. The cost is too high and I have to live with the results for too long.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the typical charcoal SB wool/cashmere overcoat from Chan. It's the fit and waist suppression that set it apart from all the other burlap-bag overcoats you see worn on the street. My only suggestion to you would not to skimp on the fabric. I used fabric from one of their cheaper books and I don't think it's going to hold up as well as it could have with higher quality fabric.

dan

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a gray herringbone with fly front (sort of Chesterfield without the velvet collar) is a great coat. I have one that has a little waist supression and like it alot.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Due to the fact that it's a travel coat and that your height simply makes for a lot of coat anyway, I would probably avoid double-breasted. Maxnharry makes a good suggestion, I think. A touch of waist suppression is good, but I'd avoid too much.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might go with a charcoal, navy or black cashmere. Loro Piana Storm System would give you a rain/bad weather/snow/etc overcoat. I would suggest a Storm System cashmere, but there are cashmere blends with wool. Also, I not sure a camel or vicuna color overcoat doesn't work an everyday overcoat. Here's a Loro Piana Storm System cashmere, an Oxxford camel hair and a vintage camel hair over 50 years old that was used by a Yale history professor for decades. http://whatareyouwearingtoday.blogspot.com/

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That vintage one is nice.
I suggest either a camel polo coat or a medium gray chesterfield

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I'm all for charcoal or black especially for warmth, but that's me. Notch lapels are great and classic. Peak lapels add a bit of dashing charm. A shirt collar is most functional, but a tad too nonchalant for many people. With pockets, a lot of companies are tending to make ones that are just for looks now (i.e. basically like suit piped pockets). I'd stick with classic slanted coat pockets that you can actually relax your hands in. Also, I suggest getting a button and hole on the lapels so you can button up all the way when it's windy. All of these are for the sake of functionality, since that's what you mainly seem to be after.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VC2000,

What did you decide for your coat.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Yes, I'm rather interested too.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i quite like this from next winters YSL collection

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Are they out of their minds? There's no buttons.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any overcoats for shorter guys? I'm 5'7" and every overcoat I've tried makes me look like a midget
mad.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Are they out of their minds? There's no buttons.

it has i belt - it look the part very simluar to a cloak i reckon! something a bit different to the norm

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
Are there any overcoats for shorter guys? I'm 5'7" and every overcoat I've tried makes me look like a midget
mad.gif

MTM or bespoke is your best bet. Make sure the overcoat has some shaping through the waist and hits just barely below your knee.

brescd01

Reaction score
I would look at the Arnys site to get ideas. They have the most interesting coats I have seen. Furthermore, tan and grey are such tedious colors that absolutely everyone wears.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads