• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should I do with the tight custom-made suit?

Reaction score
Hi gents,

I have a fresco suit that was custom-made 2 years ago. Two years later, I gain a few pounds, and the suit (jacket and trouser) is too tight for me currently. Can a tailor somehow add the fabric from the trouser to lengthen and widen the jacket, or vice versa? I am willing to sacrifice either the trouser or the jacket, and I will travel to Bangkok, so the cost will be cheaper than that in the U.S.

Charlie

Last edited:

krakatoa

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd take it back to the original tailor and see what he can do. Not sure I understand why you're planning to have the alteration done in Bangkok - is it merely a matter of saving money, or was that where the suit was made?

Astaroth

Reaction score
A decent tailor will leave more fabric in the seams to allow for future adjustments so as long as it is a few pounds and not a few stone then you should be fine. Its up to you if you go back to the same person or a different firm.

Reaction score
@krakatoa yes, I had the suit made in Bangkok, when I traveled there, and I planned to go back for vacation. I am not sure if the tailor will remember it though. I heard it would be more expensive, in the States, to have the suit tailored than buy the new one.

@Astaroth unfortunately, I gained a few stones, and I had it tailored once, so I guess there would be no more fabric to make the extension.

Any gents would know if a tailor can technically widen or lengthen the suit with external fabrics?

MisterFu

Reaction score
Hi gents,

I have a fresco suit that was custom-made 2 years ago. Two years later, I gain a few pounds, and the suit (jacket and trouser) is too tight for me currently. Can a tailor somehow add the fabric from the trouser to lengthen and widen the jacket, or vice versa? I am willing to sacrifice either the trouser or the jacket, and I will travel to Bangkok, so the cost will be cheaper than that in the U.S.

Charlie

I'd start working on dropping a few pounds; you'll be healthier and your suit will fit again.

Just my 2cents.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A) Plan to lose weight
B) Find a men's shelter in your area and donate it.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Following on from Ter1413's suggestions

(c) Burn it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads