• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What should I do with my hair?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought you guys might have a solution for me as most hair places around here are the suck for suggestions (the girls, even at Weldon Barber, usually arent posed with this question as most guys around here have one style haircut their entire lives). I am willing to grow it out and am having a hard time finding a cut other than what I have now (more or less a cesar but kinda different, Ill post pics, these are somewhat recent from when I was getting ready for a haloween party. Which explains the noseband, kinda) Dont let the first pic fool you its lighting that makes my hair look so light. few more specs on my type of hair that might make hints easier: Its straight and Black/Very dark Brown, I use a bit of product every day so Im open to using such things, when it gets partictularly long it gets a bit wavy towards the end Thanks for the help guys

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you still want feedback? It would look better thinner in back, thicker at the sides, and pushed out a bit over the forehead. From the front, the face shape and features allow many, many options. To narrow it down, what do you like on others, and what do you dislike? For example, what do you think of this hairstyle?

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i think your hair is too thin to spike they way you have been doing it. either that or your using a product thats too heavy. i'm not saying your losing your hair at all but the texture and the density is such that we can see your scalp the way your doing it. it is however, borderline looking like a Gotti boy which is not good.

i say you trim it on the sides and clean it up more and trim the top a bit so you don't have tha comb foward look, maybe get it razored so you'll have a nice texture. i would go for the dry 'tussled' look instead of the wet spikey look you have going on -- using no more than about a dime sized portion of dry matte wax -- something like hthis

http://www.ukhairdressers.com/style/...tyl1=McIntyres

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually that pic was from using too much product, I have a tendency to over do it a bit, my hair is actually pretty thick. I am still looking for suggestions, Im not totally sure what I like on others as its all kinda subjective. I have had my hair all different lengths/styles through my life from near shoulder length (back in the day, in a rock band in Middle/Highschool, 90s heh) to short short (like an inch long on top). I kinda like the look that Mens Immage consultant posted, but I would like more suggestions, I have a hard time finding pictures of hairstyles online and like I said local hair styleists are no help.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously it's hard to tell what your hair is like just from photos (as misunderstandings about the thickness attest), so I think you need to ask someone who can touch it. Frankly, no one who's a member of this forum should be getting their hair done at a place with "barber" in the name! A place like that is only qualified to give you a cut you pick from a poster.
Take a trip to Seattle and pay a stereotypical* hairstylist at least $50 to design something for you and teach you how to style it. If getting into Seattle on a monthly basis is difficult, take photos and get the stylist to write notes for your Barber to do a touch-up. Also, if you don't want to buy enough product to last you until you can restock in The City, tip them enough that they'll recommend something you can get in Spokane. * The best haircuts of my life have been from gay stylists - go figure.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well actually Weldon Barber is a high end Mens Hair place, it was created by the owners of Nordstrom. Haircut and Masage costs about $26 (and people around here bitch about that being too much). Perhaps A trip to SeaTown is in order, now I just need to get a weekend off some time (which wont be till after the busy retail Holiday Season)

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
Well actually Weldon Barber is a high end Mens Hair place
Bullshit
: the web page goes on and on about "comfort" and "experience" but never mentions "style" (wait, where are we, again?) or "fashion". At least in my jurisdiction, hairstylists are not even legally allowed to shave a customer, never mind include it with cuts standard. When you say "detailing", they whip out their blending scissors, not nosehair clippers. And colour is for more than "blending away grey". The only reason you should be going to a men's-only place is if there are Playboys in the waiting room. It's definitely time to get out of Spokane!

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a neighborhood girl cut mine once every 6 months or so, or i do it myself.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Bullshit: the web page goes on and on about "comfort" and "experience" but never mentions "style" (wait, where are we, again?) or "fashion". At least in my jurisdiction, hairstylists are not even legally allowed to shave a customer, never mind include it with cuts standard. When you say "detailing", they whip out their blending scissors, not nosehair clippers. And colour is for more than "blending away grey".

The only reason you should be going to a men's-only place is if there are Playboys in the waiting room. It's definitely time to get out of Spokane!

Man I am well Aware it is time for me to get out of Spokane. It was time for me to get out of here long ago. I didnt want to come back here at all when I was in Tokyo. My friends keep on telling me I need to visit them in Portland and I should just move there and stuff but for the time being I am stuck... for 9mos of the year. I hope that I can get enough money together to go to school in Tokyo for the summer, that would be sweet.
Oh, I was going to get my hair cut/styled at some place in Shibuya or Shinjuku but ended up running out of time to do so (My girl's sister knew a few places that are supposed to be really good). I really wish I did...

ninjapie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
i have a neighborhood girl cut mine once every 6 months or so, or i do it myself.

Same thing here, except I go to a very expensive hair-dresser. He's a friend of mine though so it's cheap for me. I also get head massages from cute girls there, yay.

I'd say you should let her grow a bit and then try to find a really good hair-dresser. A good hair-dresser will look at the shape of your head, you eyebrows and alot of other things you wouldn't expect and then come up with a few suggestions.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go for the crooked bangs with a half mullet in back like all the kids in europe are doing.

You have an amazing hairline. I would try and ditch the ceasar part of it. Dont comb it forward then flip it up in front. Just make the entire thing into an anime flame. Spike it all the way through and comb the sides up towards your forehead instead of back. Do that with some pomade just to try it out.

RustyRyan

Reaction score
Get yourself some Wahl or Osters clippers, put on the #4 guard and do your whole head. It'll save you $ for the long haul, look the same everyday, and never be out of style...

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Go for the crooked bangs with a half mullet in back like all the kids in europe are doing.

You have an amazing hairline. I would try and ditch the ceasar part of it. Dont comb it forward then flip it up in front. Just make the entire thing into an anime flame. Spike it all the way through and comb the sides up towards your forehead instead of back. Do that with some pomade just to try it out.

Dude it funny you say that, My older brother flips me all kinds of shit for having my hair spiked up and my pointy shoes. He said "You look like a fuckin anime character since you came back." hahaha

Something like this would do me right, dont you think, TieCollector?

Hahaha

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.uniqlo.jp/promotion/styling_guide/20060920/ Check out Mens No. 1 This is exactly what I was looking for stylewise, I dig the fit on the suit and the hair isnt bad either. Id probably lose the tie and go a bit more casual on the whole thing, Or transform it more into a Confused-drunk-salaryman-in-spokane-at-a-College look, that would be sick.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, does anyone have suggestions as to where I should get my hair done in Seattle?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40