• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should I do in Chicago?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I grew up in Chicago, but have lived away for a decade. I'm going to be there for two weeks over the winter holidays. What should I do? That is, aside from endless visits with family. I need entertainment. Last year, we drove up to Milwaukee and went to the Calatrava museum.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eat!! There are just so many great restaurants in Chicago at this point. Although, coming from NYC, this may not be much of an enticement....

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Take me to Alinea
smile.gif

I don't put out though. A girl's gotta have morals.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im in the same boat. Taking the GF up to chicago for a day or two. What are good eats and places of interest (college students)
tongue.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
chorse, first, you better make time for a beer with me.....

art institute
science museum
field museum

there are some excellent ethnic resteraunts in town:

israeli - tabnoon, california and devon
indian - hema's kitchen on devon
mexican - taco king on clark
bar-b-q - honey one on western
chicken - chicken shack in evenston

there are some great steak places in town- gibbson's, tavern on rush, even pete millers

walk on michegan ave

I think that some of the theatre in town gives a better experience than some of the nyc theatre

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I think that some of the theatre in town gives a better experience than some of the nyc theatre

Steppenwolf is a really great theater. +1 to your entire post.

Also, Second City is just incredible. Funny as hell. So easy to get to as well--- you can see it from the Belmont station. That's one thing I'd recommend to Dashaan. Lish loved it when we went there.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
Eat!! There are just so many great restaurants in Chicago at this point. Although, coming from NYC, this may not be much of an enticement....

True. A lot of meals will be of the "let's go have a five course lunch at babushka's." but I'm going to try and fit in one or two, even if I will feel like I should be fasting instead

Originally Posted by West24
kwilk

Even I know there are better things to do in Chicago.

Originally Posted by globetrotter
chorse, first, you better make time for a beer with me.....

Let me see what I can do. Thanks to the late 20th century American family - a.k.a multiple divorces, compounded by marriage - I have approximately eighty four families to see.

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Steppenwolf is a really great theater. +1 to your entire post.

Also, Second City is just incredible. Funny as hell. So easy to get to as well--- you can see it from the Belmont station. That's one thing I'd recommend to Dashaan. Lish loved it when we went there.

Family has a Steppenwolf subscription, so maybe they'll have tickets while I'm there. Other things, like Lyric Opera, are closed for the days we are there. Oh yeah, we went to Second City last year as well.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tavern on rush is over-priced hot garbage, please avoid at all costs! i also think alinea is over-rated as well and i will take the hate, but i've eaten there several times and not impressed. there are tons of great boutiques for shopping all through out the city, you of course have michigan avenue, the sears tower, wrigley field, navy pier and all the usual tourist crap. it really all depends on what you want to do, how much time you have and where exactly will you be staying...

jefe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson

I wouldn't recommend the Belmont station for Second City... that's a helluva walk. Try Sedgwick off the brown/purple train or North & Clybourn off the Red Line.

Mauby

Reaction score
(Not for college kids) Try and go to a couple of the upscale hotel bars, like the Peninsula. It's quite a scene. Steakhouses are a must if you like a good steak. A ton of "fusion" restaurants to try out. Great theatres/shows. Make sure you have a drink at the Green Mill, an old Capone-era hangout.

For college kids, I agree to check out the museums, Navy Pier, Millennium Park etc. Hit the Hancock observatory if it's a clear day - much better view than the Sears Tower observatory. Lincoln Park bars at night. Make sure you try some Chicago-style deep dish pizza, just to say you did. Pick up the book: A Native's Guide to Chicago 4th ed.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauby
(Not for college kids) Make sure you try some Chicago-style deep dish pizza, just to say you did.

Nooooooo! As a New Yorker, you'll be glad you didn't. Hell, as someone from ANYWHERE else, you'll be glad you didn't. I swear, Chicago deep-dish pizza has got to be the most overrated thing about the entire city. And yes, I've tried all the "classic" places in town and have been severely disappointed.

censored.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads