1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What should I do about my smoking neighbor?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Van Veen, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Indeed, people can smoke in their living quarters, if the place is not well isolated and you're affected there are two choices:

1) You're a pussy, move to the countryside you're not made for city living
    2) Smoke is excessive, the landlord should improve his fucking apartment.

In both cases your neighbor has absolutely not responsibility in this.

2. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Good point.

3. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

OK so you smoke but then you think you can complain about someone else who smokes? Pot? Kettle? All it takes is one article of clothing you smoked in to contaminate the whole closet and half the house.

I'm sorry, I made no assumption at all. I made a statement of fact. For smoke to travel through a ceiling into the area above you must have a pathway. Unless there are holes in the ceiling and adjoining floor it's not going to happen. That's where my shanty comment comes into play. Just because you can hear your neighbor means there is no insulation between the floor and ceiling and nothing more. It certainly has nothing to do with whether or not the area is an airtight barrier. Now all of this is moot if the air handling equipment is shared. If so then that could be the pathway I mentioned above.

4. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Please, there is a difference between the air being filled with smoke and one piece of clothing smelling like smoke. And I rarely smoke. Cigars on occasion, and every once in a while a cigarette. I don't smoke regularly as a habit.

Statement of fact?! You've been in my apartment?!?!? If you haven't, then guess what, you made an assumption! There's a lot of room between "shanty" and "not an airtight barrier".

5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

In your particular case , after explanation , you're entitled to complain to your landlord.

I made the same assumption than most of us you were living in a modernish building..

Wait for his answer...

He can have a word with your neighbour and tell you to make the choice of leaving if the situation is unsatisfactory.

6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Let's not forget the most important thing.

Smoking cigarettes makes you cool.

7. Star

Star Senior member

One thing I have never understood is given all the profits, resources, and know how accumulated over years of making cigarettes; the tobacco companies have not come up with a product that is proven not to be unhealthy let alone kill you. If they put their minds to it I am sure something could have been invented. Perhaps a cigarette that dispenses a series of vitamins and or other good stuff for you?

8. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

+1 to both of these posts!!!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  9. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Install a smoke alarm that has a sensor under your floor and sirens near his bedroom and storefront.

Then go on another business trip.

10. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Don't know why he doesnt just smoke outside or blow the smoke out of a window. I used to smoke and only smoked a few times in my apartment. I would just go outside or on te rare occasion I wouujst blow the smoke out a window. Your neighbor sounds lazy and inconsiderate.

Even if I still smoked, if a neighbor's smoke seeped into my apartment I would be really annoyed. You should really bug your landlord. He should take care of this.

11. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I smoke and I can't imagine smoking inside the house and have that smell stick in the curtains, couch, linen, etc... ugh.

12. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I smoke a cigarette or two (and my pipe) in my apartment a week. No lingering smell - just keep some windows open and the fan on.

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

If he is smoking Marlboros then please send him a thank you letter on my behalf.

14. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Have your neighbour look into one of these E-Cigarettes, and fast!
    I am using the EGO-C model by Ovale and it WORKS.
    The nicotine juices are as sweet as nectar and NO SMOKE. Only vapour, leaving no after traces.
    A most satisfying way to enjoy nicotine. I strongly recommend any smoker switching to an E-Cigarette, cigar or pipe.
    Since I started using mine I have not had even one regular cigarette or even craved one and I used to smoke a pack a day.
    Believe me brothers, this works.
    http://www.ovaleusa.com/

You can smoke your brains out with an E-Cig and bother no one. It is called 'Vaping' (Vapouring).
    :) Bliss.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  15. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

It's not the walls or floor or ceiling, it's the HVAC system, if anything. Sheesh--a sheet of plastic has no insulation, but is an impermeable barrier to smoke.

This said, some folks are more sensitive than others, while some folks are just dicks when it comes to smoking. The security guard at a company I once worked for used to smoke at the entrance to the employee parking lot, where folks had to roll down their windows to activate a gate with an electronic key card. A few whiny ass bitches complained about smoke billowing into their cars when they rolled down their windows for all of five seconds to get into the parking lot, and the guard was a good ten feet away. That's unreasonable.

Hard to say what category the OP is in, but a lack of insulation can't be the cause of any problem.

16. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

This...

Having vaped for over a year now, I switched to using the Reo Grand mod (uses 510 attys). It really works great. Thinking about getting a VV mod and/or a Reo Mini since it's a bit big. I was using the eGo-T before, previous version of the model you posted MoL.