• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should I buy?

The Trendsetter

Reaction score
What would you do if you were a college student who had 2325 dollars left after paying important bills? I need a laptop and I am a mac lover. I am considering buying a refurbished macbook pro from apple for about 1100 total including shipping and taxes. Opinons on what else? I'm planning on buying some clothes as well.

*#..

Reaction score
How's your wardrobe coming along? I'd invest in button-downs, nice denim/pair of chinos, a pair of shoes, and a cheap, nice-fitting suit if possible. I'm in college as well, and I've needed to wear a suit maybe 1-2 times/year. It's good to be prepared for those situations though.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a simple laptop that does the basic things you will need and raid thrift shops for clothes. You have minimal capital, so I wouldn't waste it on unnecessary luxury items right now.

sephlod

Reaction score
Do you really need a MAC? If your on a budget, the MAC might not be the best solution

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sephlod
Do you really need a MAC? If your on a budget, the MAC might not be the best solution
You should get a Mac because PCs might go beepbeepbeepbeepbeep and, like, devour your paper.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

The Trendsetter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by *#..
How's your wardrobe coming along? I'd invest in button-downs, nice denim/pair of chinos, a pair of shoes, and a cheap, nice-fitting suit if possible. I'm in college as well, and I've needed to wear a suit maybe 1-2 times/year. It's good to be prepared for those situations though.

Any particular kind of button down or denim? I am on a college budget so I'm considering the levi 501's. Here are some I like: http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...194290.3692024

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...194290.3692024

then for shoes, I'm considering getting some sperry's. I really like those.

I wear size 36 and have a big butt and big legs. I feel like I look ugly in these. Maybe if I found a good fitting pair I wouldn't.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy the macbook pro and a nice digital camera. capture some good college memories. Wish I had pics of what I did in college. spend the rest on booze.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd get:
MB Air, use lab computers for bigger stuff. Get cheap 19" monitor and kb/mouse for your room if you want, down the line.
a decent suit, Thick as Thieves or something, find a decent pair of shoes for cheap
a small pocket digital camera, like the guy above said

Should eat all your money but you're set.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Save it. Use school computers. Idk, I hate lugging a laptop around, starting it up, carrying a mouse and power cables.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Buying a Mac with that is just ******* asinine. Don't be a slave to marketing. Travel, make some memories.

On your deathbed, are you really going to be like "damn, I wish I had a better [marketed] laptop in college!"

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my computer broke on me my last semester in college. I actually had the best time of college when I wasn't on my computer typing all day. I didnt' notice and I worked faster.

I went into the computer lab to do all my work. With things like Google Docs, its probably a LOT easier.

So I will change my answer to:

$300 netbook
$300 camera
$300 bicycle
$500 clothes/shoes
$300 nice bag to carry stuff in (filson, etc)
$600 fun/booze/travel

for the price of a macbook, you can get a netbook AND an IPAD.

go for broke!
spam[1].gif

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Dude, aren't you "The Trendsetter"? You should be telling us what to buy.

*#..

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Trendsetter
Any particular kind of button down or denim? I am on a college budget so I'm considering the levi 501's. Here are some I like: http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...194290.3692024

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...194290.3692024

then for shoes, I'm considering getting some sperry's. I really like those.

I wear size 36 and have a big butt and big legs. I feel like I look ugly in these. Maybe if I found a good fitting pair I wouldn't.

I think 501's are fine. Most people here would recommend 511/514's for a slimmer pair of jeans, but since your waist is pretty big (36!), 501's should fit you better. Go to a place nearby that sells them and see which Levi's fit you best. Also keep in mind when a pair of 501's say "shrink-to-fit", they will literally shrink when you wash them, unless it says that they're already "pre-shrunk". Keep this in mind.

Sperry's are fine, I see a lot of people wearing them in college these days. I personally don't like them, but go ahead and buy a pair. They're very affordable, which is always nice.

And for all the people recommending against a macbook - I agree 100% with them. Why do you like Mac over PC? I owned a macbook 2 years ago, and I gave it to my brother because it was so useless. It was a lot more cumbersome to use than a regular PC. A lot of things about the Mac OS just annoyed me. You pay more for less (nicely designed though) in terms of the specs, and they are still vulnerable to break down. In fact, my old macbook now does not connect wirelessly anymore, you have to always plug in an ethernet cable to go on the internet. I had to install programs onto my computer for my classes, but they didn't work on the Mac OS. You want a computer that can actually do everything school-related first and foremost. That, and you're on a budget. Also, you most definitely do not want to get a macbook air. Not only is it ridiculously overpriced, but it doesn't even have a cd drive.

For button downs, you can't go wrong with epaulet. Go check the streetwear and denim threads for more of an idea of what you like.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
Yeah, my computer broke on me my last semester in college. I actually had the best time of college when I wasn't on my computer typing all day. I didnt' notice and I worked faster.

I went into the computer lab to do all my work. With things like Google Docs, its probably a LOT easier.

So I will change my answer to:

$300 netbook
$300 camera
$300 bicycle
$500 clothes/shoes
$300 nice bag to carry stuff in (filson, etc)
$600 fun/booze/travel

for the price of a macbook, you can get a netbook AND an IPAD.

go for broke!
spam[1].gif

That's a pretty good list actually. Don't know if $600 buys much in the way of travel unless it's a short roadtrip, but I agree with the rest... but I like to clamshell my laptop and run it with a monitor as a desktop at home, have you ever tried fapping to a tiny 10" screen?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics