• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should i buy next?

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am starting my A levels in september, this means that I can now wear a suit instead of the school uniform.

I have bought 1 Brioni Dimants Blue, and 1 Zegna Su Misura, even though it is not mtm for me, it was 250 pounds at an outlet (see my other post).

The Zegna is middle Grey and the Brioni is navy blue, I also have a tailor made suit given to me by my father, it is charcoal.

I think I need about 5 suits, a I will need to change every day, any recomendations, as to what to buy?

Also shirts, I only have white really, most are rubbish poly-cotton things, though I have about 5 good ones; Zegna, Cerutti 1881, Boss, Prada, Gucci.

What colours should I get in shirts.

I am quite restricted, as I need to wear the school tie, there are a number of the school ties in a range of colours, however, they are rubbish polyester things, and they look terrible, but I think I can get away with other ties, as I have seen a number of people doing it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need about 5 more shirts to start.  White is covered, so get a solid pale blue, a striped blue, a solid, and a windowpane or mini-striped light grey shirt.  A light brown or cocoa shirt goes well with grey or navy suits, and dress them down.  Your last shirt should be accent shirts.  A pink one is nice, if you can pull it off - otherwise, go with lavender.

[edit - add section]

In terms of suits, you seem to have the basics covered. For your remaining suits, you might want to consider a slim solid midnight blue crepe suit - does double duty for evenings. You might also want a chocolate brown (really dark) suit, possibly even a moleskin one. It'll set you apart, and pair well with your blue shirts. The jacket can do double duty with a pair of jeans for the weekend. Make sure that the jacket is slim. The pants (sorry, trousers) can be more relaxed. At your age, and if you are in good shape, no pleats (which don't seem that commone except in the States anyway). Flat front pants are more easily worn on their own.

BTW, I used to break as many uniform rules as possible - my cardigan, though an official school cardi, was worn ripped and torn and oversized, Kurt Cobain style (this was the early nineties) and my button downs were usually unbuttoned. Think about it, I was pretty scruffy.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You need about 5 more shirts.  White is covered, so get a solid ice blue, a striped blue, a solid, and a windowpane or mini-striped light grey shirt.  A light brown or cocoa shirt goes well with grey or navy suits, and dress them down.  Your last shirt should be accent shirts.  A pink one is nice, if you can pull it off - otherwise, go with lavender.
Any ideas about brand, or which ones to get specifically?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on your budget. I personally like Barba for dress shirts, though Cerruti 1881 are more economical. If you want to be able to wear your shirts for casual use, for the the pale blue shirt, go with Prada, Costume National, or Jil Sander (and make sure to go with a no front pocket model). Helmut Lang usually make good solid gray and pale blue shirts as well. For patterned shirts, go with a more traditional maker, either British or Italian - Barba, Borrelli and Attolini are all great, in order of ascending ridiculous prices. Hilditch & Key and Eton usually have more reasonable prices. For the pink shirt, go with whatever company makes the palest color - no hot pinks, mind you. Gianluca Isaia or Luciano Barbera are good choices for the more casual light brown shirt.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Firstly, I would like to thank you for your excellent advice.

Secondly,
In terms of suits, you seem to have the basics covered. For your remaining suits, you might want to consider a slim solid midnight blue crepe suit - does double duty for evenings. You might also want a chocolate brown (really dark) suit, possibly even a moleskin one. It'll set you apart, and pair well with your blue shirts. The jacket can do double duty with a pair of jeans for the weekend. Make sure that the jacket is slim. The pants (sorry, trousers) can be more relaxed. At your age, and if you are in good shape, no pleats (which don't seem that commone except in the States anyway). Flat front pants are more easily worn on their own.

I do not really think I will be wearing much of this attire on the weekend, or outside of school, as I feel I may look stupid, as I am only 16. I usualy wear jeans with untucked shirts or polo shirts ouside school, in summer, whenever I get the chance I preffer crewnech or roll neck sweaters with jeans. Perhaps when I go out with my parents I will wear some of the dress trousers, and perhaps suit jacket with jeans, but not often, unless you recomend it.

regularjoe

Reaction score
Your body is going to change a lot over the next couple of years. Just buy stuff that fits well and you wouldn't mind chucking in five or so years.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Depends on your budget.  I personally like Barba for dress shirts, though Cerruti 1881 are more economical.  If you want to be able to wear your shirts for casual use, for the the pale blue shirt, go with Prada, Costume National, or Jil Sander (and make sure to go with a no front pocket model).  Helmut Lang usually make good solid gray and pale blue shirts as well.  For patterned shirts, go with a more traditional maker, either British or Italian - Barba, Borrelli and Attolini are all great, in order of ascending ridiculous prices.  Hilditch & Key and Eton usually have more reasonable prices.  For the pink shirt, go with whatever company makes the palest color - no hot pinks, mind you.  Gianluca Isaia or Luciano Barbera are good choices for the more casual light brown shirt.
I really like Italian clothing, in all my experince (which is very little) British clothing does not suit me. I am unsure about the patterned shirts, as I have a very slim sigure, (size 34 suit, 28 waist jeans, small or extra small top wear, and 36 overcoat) and I do not think that they will go well with my figure, perhaps striped shirts, but certainly not check (I could be wrong).

I like Helmut Lang for my casual war, but their formals have seemed uninspiring, though I will take your advice and get a blue HL shirt, as I saw one in Selfridges the other day for 80 pounds, which I think is quite a good price.

Do you think I could buffer up my wardrobe with cheap items from Marks & Spencer and Topman, as although budget is not much of an issue for several items, when it comes to selection - it is just easier to buy 5 nice shirts and 20 cheap ones, (and the 20 cheap ones would still cost less than the 5 nice ones) or would this ruin my look?

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Your body is going to change a lot over the next couple of years.  Just buy stuff that fits well and you wouldn't mind chucking in five or so years.
I realise this, but I am sure that I could pass the clothing on or sell it, so I do not see buying too much as much of an issue. Perhaps I am stupid, as it is not my money, but still, my parents seem to be okay with it (my father wears nothing but Bironi, Kiton etc.) (and mother Dolce, Fendi Prada, Dior.)

regularjoe

Reaction score
So.... want to trade parents.
tounge.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cut, materials, workmanship. Often you can get the first two (the more important) at a much lower price if you sacrifice the third (and despite what the Robb Report says, the least important, except to Frasier and Niles Crane types, who are generally bores anyway.) If you see something at Topman that catches your eye, go for it. Try the Duffer of St. George when you're in London as well - often their basics work.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Cut, materials, workmanship.  Often you can get the first two (the more important) at a much lower price if you sacrifice the third (and despite what the Robb Report says, the least important, except to Frasier and Niles Crane types, who are generally bores anyway.)  If you see something at Topman that catches your eye, go for it.  Try the Duffer of St. George when you're in London as well - often their basics work.
I am about 30 mins from central london, in surrey. Duffer is a very popular brand here.

Actually at Topman the materials seem to suck, as does the workmanship, but the cut and price are what makes it shine.

M&S, you get nice fabrics and quite good workmanship, but you sacrifice the cut, and also the reputation, where does every man buy his first suit, M&S euchhhh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads