• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should I buy in the Dominican Republic?

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be in the DR for the month of March. Any suggestions on what I should buy to bring back with me? ie, what's the best values as I will Be all over the island.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Cigars, guayabera shirts and rum.

+1 the cigar are better than cuban too!

chapunso

Reaction score
Besides rum women shirts and cigars, concentrate on amber (beautiful), old silver coins from spanish galeons, woodcarving figures and hatian paintings. they are beautiful. You can bargain a lot, so feel free to do so.
Wonderful restaurants in SantoDomingo: neptuno, sully, boga boga, just to name a few. there is only one decent clothing store in santo domingo, but it is not woh it. I a looking for a tailor myself. I know some ministers in the government, and in my next trip i am going to visit a good tailor. I will be more than happy to share this with the group.
I have been in the DR more than 40 times. Just let me know if there is anything else you need.

milosh

Reaction score
+1 on the cigar advice.

Wouldn't say they are better than cuban but they are good.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love rum, i love rum, i love rum.
smile.gif

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chapunso
I have been in the DR more than 40 times. Just let me know if there is anything else you need.

Any particular places you recommend for shirts and jewelry?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Baseball players.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was in Puerto Plata a few years back, and it was a lot of fun. The country (i.e. scenery) is breathtaking, but driving cross-island was depressing. You pass a lot of wretchedly poor people, living in tiny hovels with rusted tin roofs. I gave a $5 bill to a little girl who assaulted our car's windshield with cleaning fluid and a rag, and she started crying. It's amazing that $5 can make a bit of a difference in someone's life...I think we often forget how privileged we really are.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I was in Puerto Plata a few years back, and it was a lot of fun. The country (i.e. scenery) is breathtaking, but driving cross-island was depressing. You pass a lot of wretchedly poor people, living in tiny hovels with rusted tin roofs. I gave a $5 bill to a little girl who assaulted our car's windshield with cleaning fluid and a rag, and she started crying. It's amazing that $5 can make a bit of a difference in someone's life...I think we often forget how privileged we really are.
$5 would probably be a fair amount to those homeless windshield people in America.

larryr

Reaction score
Don't buy any "cuban" cigars down there.

larryr

Reaction score
I agree there are some great DR cigars, but CA is the cigar equivalent to GQ, their ratings are pretty much regarded as useless. DR is notorious for fakes. I also probably wouldn't buy any DR cigars in DR, odds are those are fake too. Unless you know where your going.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a lot of the DR cigars that are highly rated in CA are made in special tax-free zones and are not available locally. Try some of the local brands (the Leon family makes good stuff) and drink President beer. oh, and the women!!! get some tail if you can.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics