• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should be the right sleeve length for a sport coat/blazer

Mikeyyip

Reaction score
Hey, I know this question is asked often and read some post already but, I'm still confused on how should the length of the sleeve be. I've heard from retail shops where by they said the proper length should be "half-knuckle", I assume what the staff meant was half the palm? Also, from online sources that it should be half an inch of the cuffs. Well... which one is it :p?
What I own is a sport coat, I highly doubt I'll be wearing any cufflinks with it.

Here's an image of how (excuse my language) darn long my sleeve currently is.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Stylefoum Mikeyyip. The sleeve length on your jacket is far too long. It should rest just beyond the wrist and when you extend your arm to shake hands, a 1/4" - 1/2 " sliver of shirt cuff should be visible. Arms down, (arguably) one should not see the shirt cuff and the jacket sleeve should not cover the hand. Your cuff should be taken up 1 1/2" - 2". Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid I must vehemently disagree with my colleague above. A half inch of shirt cuff should be visible. It looks much better. Your shirt sleeve should end at the narrowest point of your wrist, and your suit sleeve should end a half inch above that. As here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/232891/...e-and-where-shirt-suit-end/0_100#post_4269511

Your sleeves as pictured above are terribly long. Any sales assistant who even utters the word "knuckle" should be roundly slapped about the head.

Last edited:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree that it should certainly show some shirt cuff when standing - however only a slight bit.

In the picture it is terribly wrong and should never go over your hand.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The right sleeve length should be the same as the left sleeve length, relative to the length of the right and left arm respectively, of course.

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
Somewhere right around the bump on your outer wrist joint and you should show about 1/4 inch of sleeve while standing with your arms relaxed and hanging down. A tailor will be able to determine the best length for you.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agree that it should certainly show some shirt cuff when standing - however only a slight bit.

In the picture it is terribly wrong and should never go over your hand.

I agree with this. I think a very small sliver of cuff should be visible with arms at rest.

Any more than that and a comically large amount of cuff would be visible when you're doing things like sitting at a desk and working, etc.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm afraid I must vehemently disagree with my colleague above. A half inch of shirt cuff should be visible. It looks much better. Your shirt sleeve should end at the narrowest point of your wrist, and your suit sleeve should end a half inch above that. As here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/232891/...e-and-where-shirt-suit-end/0_100#post_4269511

Your sleeves as pictured above are terribly long. Any sales assistant who even utters the word "knuckle" should be roundly slapped about the head.

Agree 100% that some shirt cuff should be visible when standing with arm hanging down. The amount of cuff shown is to some degree a matter of taste with 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch being OK.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Find the correct point on your wrist by bending your thumb up ( as if you giving a thumbs up) with your arm extended at your side and hanging in a natural, relaxed way. The jacket sleeve should rest at the crease in your wrist resting on your thumb. This is an accurate and repeatable point of reference and you want to determine the jacket length separately/independently of the shirt length. You can adjust up or down to meet your personal preference but this is a good starting point. Find the proper jacket sleeve length with a fixed point like this and disregard shirt sleeve length.

There are too many variables regarding shirt sleeve length. Large or tight cuffs and differing sleeve lengths from manufacturers and resulting change in sleeve length from laundering will effect the shirt sleeve length making your shirts vary in how far they extend and are visible below your jacket sleeve. Get the jacket sleeve correct and then adjust your shirt sleeves to the jacket length for a consistent look.

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your arms don't vary, so your shirt sleeves shouldn't either. In order for your shirts to fit right, the sleeves and the cuffs must be the correct size. Your jacket sleeves need to show a half-inch of shirt cuff.

elmore

Reaction score
Would you suggest losing an inch of this?

18766679_1054914994641630_7189530491941398639_o.jpg

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Find the correct point on your wrist by bending your thumb up ( as if you giving a thumbs up) with your arm extended at your side and hanging in a natural, relaxed way. The jacket sleeve should rest at the crease in your wrist resting on your thumb.
The crease is resting on your thumb?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads