• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What shoes with cuffed jeans?

ts4them

Reaction score
I've seen Get Smart wearing cuffed jeans w/ chelsea boots and I like the look. I have some hot new chelsea's, so that look I have down. Any other ideas about a good shoe to wear w/ dark, unwashed, slim-fit, big-cuffed denim? I want to get some beat up wingtips, I think those are actually the perfect shoe to wear w/ big cuffs.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I only like cuffs with boots (chelseas, wwork-boots, combat boots, chukkas maybe). Maybe I'm conservative, but shoes seem dwarfed by the cuffs. It makes them look like slippers, IMO. I think of cuffs as a real dock-worker look.

ts4them

Reaction score
I was thinking of a wingtip w/ an over-extended toe, which would balance out the cuff.(?)

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ts4them
I was thinking of a wingtip w/ an over-extended toe, which would balance out the cuff.(?)

I'd say it could work if its kind of a bulky, wider, english style shoe, rather than a sleek italian dress shoe. Again, this is totally my idiosyncracies talking.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ts4them
I want to get some beat up wingtips, I think those are actually the perfect shoe to wear w/ big cuffs.

yea good call...I also think wingtips (esp beat up ones) look good with cuffed jeans...preferably bluchers, and nothing too sleek or dressy

ts4them

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
I'd say it could work if its kind of a bulky, wider, english style shoe, rather than a sleek italian dress shoe. Again, this is totally my idiosyncracies talking.
I agree, I actually loathe the look of most italian dress shoes, too prissy and the silhouette is way too small IMO. I was hoping to find something inexpensive, but I think I'm out of luck from what I've seen. Tried e-bay and nothing in my size
confused.gif
. I want some combat boots, but I hate the soles on the cheap ones, too clunky and treaded.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
Personally, I only like cuffs with boots (chelseas, wwork-boots, combat boots, chukkas maybe). Maybe I'm conservative, but shoes seem dwarfed by the cuffs. It makes them look like slippers, IMO. I think of cuffs as a real dock-worker look.
Perhaps this is one case where large feet are an advantage: my 12s are far too big to be dwarfed by mere straightleg cuffs!
biggrin.gif
In fact, with chelseas I think I need to wear cuffs just to keep the boots from looking like "gunboats". I do get the impression looking at places like eBay and Yoox, however, that traditional dress shoe makers don't make a whole lot of brown wingtip bluchers. Monkstraps are another option that has been discussed before: if they were plain or bicycle toe that should help them stand up to the cuffs, right?

DMcG

Reaction score
The Alden blucher wingtips may work. With the double leather sole and the shape of the barrie last I think they'd be substantial enough. Not cheap though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads