• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what shoes to wear....

Todd

Reaction score
Ok, I am in the middle of transitioning my wardrobe and I am doing it slowly as my budget allows. This means of course I don't really have everything I want yet but it is what it is.

So I am stuck with two (down from three) decent pairs of shoes that I need to pair with khakis. Both are OK I think but neither gets me real excited.

What pair do you feel looks better? And if you could add any other pair - what would you buy?

Thanks in advance!

shoesjn5.jpg

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the captoe laceups, particularly with khakis. I think that's a nice casual pairing. As for your next purchase, do you have a pair of bals for dressier events? If not, I'd consider a pair of those in black, like Allen Edmonds' Park Avenue.

LegB4Wicket

Reaction score
The brown captoes for sure.

For your next pair I would advise you to purchase a pair of Derby's.

Todd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Garage/Surf Rock
I suppose if I had to wear khakis, I'd go with the brown ones.

Had to wear Khakis? LOL - yeah I know. I have only one pair but when I go to local hangouts with 20 somethings like myself I feel a little self conscience in wool or linen.

If it makes you feel better they are fancy khakis... LOL The material was described as "canvas" and they have a soft patina to them. Hard to describe but I like them.

Todd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I like the captoe laceups, particularly with khakis. I think that's a nice casual pairing. As for your next purchase, do you have a pair of bals for dressier events? If not, I'd consider a pair of those in black, like Allen Edmonds' Park Avenue.

Thank you - I appreciate that. I was afraid the cap toe was a little too formal but I am glad you think it will work.

I think it also helps that the shoes are a very lightweight leather with a thin sole - not too over powering.

Todd

Todd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LegB4Wicket
The brown captoes for sure.

For your next pair I would advise you to purchase a pair of Derby's.

Dumb question - what is a Derby?

I have searched the forum and Google and the examples of the style do not share any commonality like "loafer", "wingtip", "captoe" etc...

LegB4Wicket

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Todd
Dumb question - what is a Derby? I have searched the forum and Google and the examples of the style do not share any commonality like "loafer", "wingtip", "captoe" etc...
It's not a dumb question. The Derby is another name for a blucher. Here's a link to a quick glossary. http://www.footwearhistory.com/resourcesglossary.shtml Below is a Crockett & Jones Dartmouth. It's one of their Derby models
dartmouthtkbcalflargeas2.jpg
[/IMG]

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Generally, I think black shoes look bad with khakis (if we are talking about the ubiquitous tan colored chinos). So yeah, brown.

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Generally, I think black shoes look bad with khakis (if we are talking about the ubiquitous tan colored chinos). So yeah, brown.

+1. One of my pet peeves.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You already have monk strap and a blucher. Hmm.. maybe it's time for you to get a pair of loafers? I think they go well with Khakis/Chinos.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
You already have monk strap and a blucher.
I don't think that's a monkstrap, I think it's a loafer with an ornamental strap and buckle?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads