• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What shoes does Obama wear?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not saying that it's not an image and PR-conscious choice - I'm sure many politicians make similar choices. Much of style is about making conscious decisions that affect how people perceive you, and then trying to hide the strings and make the decisions seem unconscious.

But your subsequent diatribe about his "rabble-rousing" as the "only real job he's ever held" was gratuitous and likely to set off a political argument where someone comes to his defense, criticizes his predecessor in the process, followed by pages and pages of posts that aren't about style.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Could you help me understand how or why someone with an outfit that is carefully arranged and managed by image consultants would be wearing shoes of that nature? Please write freely.

Please see my above post. It is a carefully constructed artifice that attempts to bring back the memory of Adlai Stevenson, a similarly positioned intellectual whose shoes were used to affect a feeling of "regular working class kind of guy" in those who viewed the photo.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please see my above post. It is a carefully constructed artifice that attempts to bring back the memory of Adlai Stevenson, a similarly positioned intellectual whose shoes were used to affect a feeling of "regular working class kind of guy" in those who viewed the photo.

It's really sad that what you just posted isn't the first thing that almost everyone seeing that photo thinks.

soundsgood

Reaction score
So what shoes does he wear? AE advertises Clinton and both bushes wore the ae park ave to inauguration.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So what shoes does he wear? AE advertises Clinton and both bushes wore the ae park ave to inauguration.

Are you interested in knowing the shoe manufacturer in order to dress more like or less like President Obama?

recondite

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.

Oh, nice segue into an argumentum ad populum followed by quick volley of argumenta ad hominem within a discussion about how or why our president's might choose to wear a particular style of shoes. What other politician do, does not fully explain Obama's curious and peculiar choice of attire embracing a style of Hobo Chic.

And, by the way, I never charge for my opinions which always fall short of a diatribe, so they are always given gratuitously or free of charge, as you noticed.

I find it curious and fascinating that you have very free form, if not personal and peculiar definitions for both the words "politics" and "diatribe" and that you use them in a way to inflame what might otherwise be a casual exchange of information delivered with ironic humor.

Not that I mind. Cheers!
I'm not saying that it's not an image and PR-conscious choice - I'm sure many politicians make similar choices. Much of style is about making conscious decisions that affect how people perceive you, and then trying to hide the strings and make the decisions seem unconscious.
But your subsequent diatribe about his "rabble-rousing" as the "only real job he's ever held" was gratuitous and likely to set off a political argument where someone comes to his defense, criticizes his predecessor in the process, followed by pages and pages of posts that aren't about style.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Given that you edited out your original comments, I will take that as a gesture towards keeping the peace and the discussion focused on style, which is all I was trying to encourage. I appreciate your understanding. Fortunately everyone else seems to have moved on as well. This is my last post in this thread.

soundsgood

Reaction score
I asked a straightforward question and have yet to get an answer.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I asked a straightforward question and have yet to get an answer.

Wouldn't it be awesome if the president was on Style Forum and posted on WAYWRN at the White House? Hilarious.

All of us tearing him apart each day. Not even on CE either, on his fits.

Obama: Hai gais, is this conservative business dress? :confused:

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Wouldn't it be awesome if the president was on Style Forum and posted on WAYWRN at the White House? Hilarious.

i want to live in this america. :slayer:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I want a President concerned about foreign affairs and unemployment more than our collective opinions of his fit pics :)

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

All due respect to our Commander in Chief but he wouldn't last five minutes in DT.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads