1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What shoes do you wear with your dinner suit/tux?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ianiceman, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I failed to pull the trigger in yesterday's sale for a decent looking pair of patent leathers as I thought they would sit in the cupboard unworn for months.

Now it looks like we may be invited to a black tie event at New Year and I wish I'd gone for it. Looks like I'll gamble on finding something decent either now or in the post Christmas sale or I'll have to shine up some 'day' shoes, unless anyone knows of any other good alternatives? I'm not looking to spend silly money for shoes I will wear once a year. I don't like AE park Avenues or velvet slippers.

What do you lot wear with your black tie outfits?

2. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

I polish up my black cap-toe oxfords, though mine are more elegant than the AE PA. The PA's 360 degree welt makes it look too clunky for black tie.

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I wear black loafers with silk bows.

4. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Senior member

Ferragamo black suede wholecut lace ups

5. dunga

dunga Senior member

I would like some patent loafers

6. Trigger

Trigger Member

I find an oxford captoe with a spit shine work fine for me. Only wearing a tux a couple of times a year I too couldn't justify the outlay for patents.

7. theyare

theyare Senior member

I'm so bummed - I just scored these from yoox

http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?cod10=44247283&tp=11333

would have been perfect, marked as black but for some reason the pair I got is a dark oxblood!

could probably get away with it, but will probably send them back.

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I don't have any patent shoes, so instead use either a well-polished pair of black Lobb Chelmers (example pic, taken from the Shoe Pictorial thread), or if the weather's wet, a pair of black Loake 1880 captoes. Occasionally, if feeling frivolous, I'll use a pair of dark green suede Lobb Lord slippers. [​IMG]

9. Roger Everett

Roger Everett Senior member

I do the patent leather tux shoes, myself. However, I feel that a pair of black plain toe or unadorned caps would work fine, if given a spit polish ( as in Holdfast's link, above ). I wouldn't wear any shoe that is so busy as to be the detracting point of interest. The tux in and of it's self should be the main focal point ( after me ofcourse ).
    Roger

10. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

All you need to know:

Black punch-caps. John Lobb Philip IIs would be particularly suitable.

11. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

All you need to know:

Fraud!!!!

12. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

!986 Alan MacAffees.

[​IMG]

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wear my Crockett and Jones "Alex". Black wholecuts. I want to get a pair of bowed patents. I would also like to attend more black tie events. If you know of any invite me. I will go. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

15. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

16. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Wholecuts or formal slippers. I like the purple label eden II by Edward Green for it.

17. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

Ferragamo black suede wholecut lace ups

+1

18. Gwarg

Gwarg Senior member

19. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Reviving the thread as I'm still on the hunt.

Thanks for the input above. I'm discounting loafers as I don't think they look dressed up enough. I'm disco ting anything with silk bows as I'm neither Victorian nor gay. I'm discounting anything suede as suede is by nature a more casual shoe. After lots of consideration of several plains or captoe calf oxfords I'm discounting them as I think when you wear black tie you are in a suit, shirt, bowtie and perhaps even socks, studs, links and braces that you never wear with any other outfit on any other occasion, but you're gonna pair that with the shoes you wore to the office last Wednesday? I've discounted the Aldens as they look nice but are probably $400 which is more than I'm ready to lash out.

So the choices are narrowing down. I still much prefer the look and fit of bluchers over oxfords, but Florsheim has a patent Oxford that looks decent. I've tried patents from Johnston and Murphy (not thrilled with the square toe) and Kenneth Cole (yes yes I know!) which had ridiculous pointy winklepicker toes as do Calvin Kleins.

Then I saw some calf J and M goodyear welted wholecuts. I'm leaning towards these as they are definitely something a bit different that I wouldn't normally go for, nothing like an everyday office shoe, seem pretty well made for a J and M, will probably shine up well with a bit of spit and polish, formal enough to suit a black tie getup and occasion ... OK I'm rambling but have time to kill and as usual welcome any more thought or pearls of wisdom on the topic. Cheers.

20. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Sigh. It saddens me when men will not wear bowed calf or patent Alberts with their black tie. Lace up shoes dumb down the look considerably.

If you must go the lace up shoe route, please do not get wholecuts unless you are Continental. You will want a variation of this, but tied with silk ribbon rather than normal shoelaces.