• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What shoes am I still missing in my little collection?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Before I reply, I think it's important to point out that I'm just giving my point of view for discussion, not because I'm disagreeing in an angry manner or out of an intent to insult - this sort of thing often gets lost over internet conversations.

I actually think a white shirt, sleeves rolled up, slim jeans, and something like Celine Jacnos or engineer boots would look good. I think we may be discussing different jeans, however - I don't mean Levis, but something more like Hedi Slimane.

If we're talking about classic style, then black shoes are already necessary because suits will be worn more often. If we're talking about modern men's "patterns" in dressing (if they can be called that), then it depends on the circles you run in/what you want to express through your style. I don't actually care if two dozen actors and upstarts wore certain combinations in the past, because they didn't invent them, and things change. The boring suit is dead, and they should now be free to to be worn how they were originally intended: with some flair!

Besides, I'm cuter than those fellows. Hard to beat individuality and presence, eh? ;)

Same! This is obviously a spirited discussion, but I hope I'm not coming off as angry or intending to insult people.

I don't have any opinion about people who want to add "flair" to a classic men's outfit. I'm not a stickler about the rules and sometimes see people wear classic men's tailoring in a way that's unexpected and interesting. But I do think that the people who do it successfully often do so in a way that speaks a kind of visual language, such as Barims and LabelKing (two members here in the past who dressed with a lot of "flair"). It's a cliche, but I also think it helps to know the rules before you break them, so the unexpected item is more interesting than discordant.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of good advice all around - I do think it’s important to think of your lifestyle as well and how that’s changed or not and think if there is anything you’d find yourself reaching for. The gap that I find myself wanting to fill is more important than one the internet or tradition may think I should fill. As an example, my collection was limited on derby shoes, mainly because I didn’t have a need for them with the way I dressed. In the before Covid times - My job was a suit daily. On the weekends, denim and boots or minimalist sneakers. In the summer - Shorts and loafers/boat shoes/drivers. I rarely dressed in a way that called for derby’s so while it was technically a hole in the collection, it wasn’t one that “needed” to be filled and when it became apparent it was a hole AND I found myself wanting to fill it is when it made sense to add them. Too often I’ve fallen into the trap of buying just to buy or feel like I have the collection completed and I must say I felt better about adding them when I knew there was a reason than if I’d done it before.

stifler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have a brand in mind?

John Lobb black City II oxfords. It doesn't get anymore classic than these
1604194170922.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
John Lobb black City II oxfords

These are the black oxfords I bought about eight years ago. I tried them on in a store and thought they looked great, so I purchased a pair. Eight years later, I think I may have worn them once to a wedding.

If I could go back, I'd tell myself to reflect on how often I wear formal suits, and not purchase "best of class" items in whatever "checklist" category. I think I would have been better off buying a lower-tier shoe given how infrequently I wear these, or even just not purchased them at all.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL at @dieworkwear recommending this guy buy suede chukkas before black captoes... the latter of which are good for... you know... practical things that call for a dark suit (esp interviews)

Just buy the f'ing captoes, OP. Don't listen to dickriderworkwear

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Love how the OP mentioned this bit about wanting to have a formal option but @dieworkwear just ignored it and urged him to buy brown suede chukka's instead

LOL

But im not "happy" with my style now. I'm aiming for the style Kirby Allison has. So that would be very formal.

These are the black oxfords I bought about eight years ago. I tried them on in a store and thought they looked great, so I purchased a pair. Eight years later, I think I may have worn them once to a wedding.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is some pseudointellectual cringe right here from @dieworkwear

Just buy the f'in black shoes! Outsmarting yourself

I don't have any opinion about people who want to add "flair" to a classic men's outfit. I'm not a stickler about the rules and sometimes see people wear classic men's tailoring in a way that's unexpected and interesting. But I do think that the people who do it successfully often do so in a way that speaks a kind of visual language, such as Barims and LabelKing (two members here in the past who dressed with a lot of "flair"). It's a cliche, but I also think it helps to know the rules before you break them, so the unexpected item is more interesting than discordant.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It would really suck to live inside @dieworkwear's head

Constantly evaluating this arcane set of rules that can or cannot be broken. Like an OCD case

Let the OP wear closed-lace shoes without suits!

Here's some Reddit dude. Looks fine

If someone wants to wear oxfords in this very internet-shoe-enthusiast way, they can, of course. People can dress however they want. But this is a new internet invention and not about classic men's dress.

See in these photos.

Derbies and other casual shoes: for suits and casual clothes
Oxfords: for suits

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL at recommending this guy buy suede chukkas before black captoes... the latter of which are good for... you know... practical things that call for a dark suit (esp interviews)

Just buy the f'ing captoes, OP. Don't listen to dickriderworkwear
OP has 2 pair of dark brown captoes though.

I can't think of a situation where those wouldn't work with a dark suit and interviews.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OP has 2 pair of dark brown captoes though.

I can't think of a situation where those wouldn't work with a dark suit and interviews.

The guy even said he needs less casual stuff

Black > brown for that. The latter isn't bad but there is a difference

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The guy even said he needs less casual stuff

Black > brown for that. The latter isn't bad but there is a difference
That's a good point, black is inherently more formal, and he did say he is aiming for Kirby Allison style.

If he is certain on dressing more formal, then he can't go wrong with a pair of black captoes.

I do get DWW's POV on trying to dress more formal, it not really working with my lifestyle, and then ending up with some **** I wear twice a year. All because #menswear told me I needed it.

Nothing wrong with cautioning someone new IMO with mistakes a lot of us have made.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John Lobb black City II oxfords. It doesn't get anymore classic than these
View attachment 1488248

Until COVID, I would wear suits 3-4 days a week. My black oxfords got the least wear compared to my oxblood, dark brown, medium brown oxfords, probably equal to my chestnut/snuff balmoral boots. Probably 1-2/month. Oxblood and dark brown getting worn 1-2/week.

Original poster doesn't wear suits regularly. These would fill a perceived void b/c it's not required for his wardrobe.

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score
Dressy dark brown loafers ala Alden or similar. I have a dark brown pair from Berwick made of polished calf (which effectively imitates Alden's cordovan and surprisingly looks good even a year later with regular wear) which I find extremely versastile and which can be worn I think with dark sportcoats/flannels, or even dark worsted business suits in a pinch. I think OP's lighter colored loafers would look strange with a business casual outfit which leans more on the "business" side and would be wholly incompatible with a dark worsted suit.
563a~2_R_2683dfa5.jpg

Last edited:

Kalec

Reaction score
Would philip ii be better fitted in wardrobe given it has some brogues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics