• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What shoe to buy on AE sale (and use for interview)?

jesbars

Reaction score
Hi, I have an interview for graduate school programs on October so it is not the most formal event but I still want to look good and I want to buy something right now from the AE sale. Right now I work in a business casual fintech office: slacks, button shirt and sometimes a blazer. Sometimes on friday dress down with chinos and a polo or a more casual shirt. I am late twenties if it matters

I have what I consider a nice collection of "good dress shoes", please find below:

• Black bit loafers (Ferragamo)
  • Brown bit loafers (AE Verona)
  • Merlot AE Mcallisters
  • Blue AE Neumoks
  • Grey AE Park Avenues (just wear thrice in my life, difficult colour)
  • AE Mora 2.0 bourbon (love them)
  • AE Rush Street Cap toe on distressed olive

For casual wear I have Sperry boat shoes, one pair of chukkas and Dr. Martens

To the office I mostly wear the loafers and the Mora and Rush Street. Sometimes the Mcallisters on the rare occasions I wear a suit. I like to communicate a not so boring style.

So, I see two problems:

1. I do not have a black oxford for those ultra formal events (and I don't think I need to)
  2. I do not have bluchers

So please fine gentleman could you help with these difficult decisions?:
What should I buy on the AE sale?
Right now I am shortlisting:

I really do not think I need the black park avenues, less you say so. Thus, two final questions:

• What should I buy?
  • What should I wear to my interview? I will wear a mid/dark grey plain suit (not charcoal) with light blue shirt and matching tie.
  • I am thinking on the Mcallisters but maybe the broguing is too much and I should wear the yorktowns? Cornwallis?

Thanks so much, appreciate it.

yanagi

Reaction score
IMO, the merlot McAllister should go nicely with your suit for your interview, so you don't have to buy anything.

P12OFIT

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is even a realistic idea but could you take some black shoe cream and polish to the grey Park Avenues and see how black you can make them? As for your question, I'd vote brown Fifth Ave.

BKBridge

Reaction score
Are we talking B school interviews? If so I wouldn't rock a full brogue, you're better off with a black bit loafer than burgundy mccalisters.

Either the Cornwallis or Fifth avenue in brown or black, you're missing a more formal suit shoe. The Yorktown is more versatile but you already have some shoes that work on that level of formality.

jesbars

Reaction score

Are we talking B school interviews? If so I wouldn't rock a full brogue, you're better off with a black bit loafer than burgundy mccalisters.

Either the Cornwallis or Fifth avenue in brown or black, you're missing a more formal suit shoe. The Yorktown is more versatile but you already have some shoes that work on that level of formality. 

Yes, in fact is to B-School. Would you say that the merot mcallister is a no no?

You guys are making me consider buying a Fifth Avenue or Cornelliani.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Cant speak for the question asked, but I can comment on fifth avenue - don't do it... Probably the ugliest shoe on the market north of 300 dollars (although some aldens given them a run for their money). Im not an AE fan, but I have to say, I really like my Rutledge Cap toe shoes - the last they're built on is very nice. Cornwallis last was a modified version of that (imho, they made it worse by shortening it), but if you're looking at the sale shoes only, definitely go Cornwallis over Fifth avenue. Its not really interview appropriate, but I do like the AE Daltons.

yanagi

Reaction score

Cant speak for the question asked, but I can comment on fifth avenue - don't do it... Probably the ugliest shoe on the market north of 300 dollars (although some aldens given them a run for their money).  Im not an AE fan, but I have to say, I really like my Rutledge Cap toe shoes - the last they're built on is very nice. Cornwallis last was a modified version of that (imho, they made it worse by shortening it), but if you're looking at the sale shoes only, definitely go Cornwallis over Fifth avenue.  Its not really interview appropriate, but I do like the AE Daltons.

Two people have recommended the Rutledge now. I'd like to point out that it was discontinued recently.

If the concern is that the McAllister has too much broguing, Fifth Avenue (punch-cap toe) is more conservative than and should be preferable to the Cornwallis (medallion toe) IMO.

BKBridge

Reaction score
Two people have recommended the Rutledge now. I'd like to point out that it was discontinued recently.

If the concern is that the McAllister has too much broguing, Fifth Avenue (punch-cap toe) is more conservative than and should be preferable to the Cornwallis (medallion toe) IMO.

The concern from me on the mcallister is the full brogue plus merlot color. i'd want something just a touch more conservative: a full black wingtip is fine, as is a brown strand/cornwallis or even a merlot park/fifth ave.

yanagi

Reaction score

The concern from me on the mcallister is the full brogue plus merlot color. i'd want something just a touch more conservative: a full black wingtip is fine, as is a brown strand/cornwallis or even a merlot park/fifth ave. 

I agree that a balmoral full brogue is the least conservative balmoral, all else equal. But merlot is a dark red that is more than fine for interviews. We aren't talking about a flashy red like G&G vintage cherry:

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Those G&Gs....
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I don't like cap toes with a rounded toe, somehow the line of the shoe makes it look stumpy to me. It doesn't look sleek & elegant. For cap toes, imo, go with a chiseled toe.

I see no problem with merlot mccallisters. But, if the OP can swing it, I'd suggest investing over AEs - C&J, Vass, Carmina, are all better than AEs. Its always astounding to me, how there isn't a market for C&Js or Carminas in the US - I'd think a department store providing carminas would do well.

sled1855

Reaction score
Quote: To be fair, all of those are more expensive than AE, and AE often has sales as well. That, and most people are clueless about quality in shoes.

Last edited:

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those G&Gs....
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

I don't like cap toes with a rounded toe, somehow the line of the shoe makes it look stumpy to me. It doesn't look sleek & elegant. For cap toes, imo, go with a chiseled toe.

I see no problem with merlot mccallisters.  But, if the OP can swing it, I'd suggest investing over AEs - C&J, Vass, Carmina, are all better than AEs.  Its always astounding to me, how there isn't a market for C&Js or Carminas in the US - I'd think a department store providing carminas would do well.

I'm all for Carmina and beyond, I've moved on from AE, but I wouldn't call Carminas entry level shoes. They were competitively priced with AE msrp until the price change, and they're still competitive overall imo but without free shipping and returns, it's much more of a gamble to foray into other brands compared to AE.

AE sale means a budget of $175-200 and you're looking at $450+ for Carmina and $700ish for Vass. Not really in the same category regardless of how much better they may be.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
reality is AE is a ton cheaper on the secondary market as well. I paid like $90 for my barely used Park Avenues and those sort of deals are frequently around on ebay..not so for the other brands

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads