• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What shoe to buy (designer), and where

sepandee

Reaction score
I was delighted today to find out that I can pay MUCH MUCH less buying boxers (trunks) online (boss, calvin klein, etc) that in stores. I actually wonder how for the same price, I can buy 5-10 times as many boxers.

So now I have to buy shoes to match my black suit for an upcoming wedding. I don't know much about shoes. I need it to match my black suit (so black?) and I like my shoes simple: not too many patterns, not ridiculously long and pointy, not too shiny, not too funky. I see myself wearing laces, but I guess no lace is fine as well.

These are some examples of acceptable styles:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41UUngMChcL.jpg
http://www.estatesalesnancyeastland....s/P1013134.JPG (my least favorite amongst the 3)
http://www.boutiquniq.com/img/www.sh...AEC1025379.jpg

QUestions:
1) I don't want ot pay more than $200, although I will if I find something that I'll absolutely love. I bought a pair of bruno magli's for $150 from Winners, which is a discount department store that sometimes has some decent brands and sales. The downside is that the front of the shoes are a bit too flat, so if htey were pointier or even rounder it would've been ok.
So where can I buy shoes ONLINE for a good price (just like my boxers)? I've been looking over ebay for the past half an hour, I found some interesting stuff but not much (mostly because i don't know many brands accept for prada, bruno magli, gucci, and a few others).

2) What brands? Name a few please.

Thanks
Sep

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Please don't buy your shoes online. Never ever do it! Promise me you won't. lf you do, there is a big chance that they won't fit you properly and will cause your feet to hurt. Bad fitting shoes are no good. A size 10 is not neccessarily a size 10 if you get my drift. lt's will be very difficult for someone like yourself (inexperienced in dress shoes) to get the correct size worked out.

Buying underwear online is o.k because bad fitting underwear won't hurt you. Shoes must always fit right otherwise they will hurt. l could tell you some great bargains, but if the shoe doesn't fit it's not going to be of any benefit is it.

BUY YOUR SHOES LOCALLY!!!

jeff in vancouver

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harry Lean
Please don't buy your shoes online. Never ever do it! Promise me you won't. lf you do, there is a big chance that they won't fit you properly and will cause your feet to hurt. Bad fitting shoes are no good. A size 10 is not neccessarily a size 10 if you get my drift. lt's will be very difficult for someone like yourself (inexperienced in dress shoes) to get the correct size worked out.

Buying underwear online is o.k because bad fitting underwear won't hurt you. Shoes must always fit right otherwise they will hurt. l could tell you some great bargains, but if the shoe doesn't fit it's not going to be of any benefit is it.

BUY YOUR SHOES LOCALLY!!!

Or find shoes you like locally and then order online.

pharrow59

Reaction score
or you could try them locally and buy the correct size online...

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeff in vancouver
Or find shoes you like locally and then order online.

Yes, but the gent is new to dress shoes, things can still go wrong. He might buy the same brand but on a different last. Or he might buy a shoe online and make the mistake of buying a U.K size instead of a U.S size etc.

To the original poster, what part of the world do you come from. Please try to be specific.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unfortunately the styling of your least favorite one is FAR better than the other 2 you posted.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
unfortunately the styling of your least favorite one is FAR better than the other 2 you posted.

Not just better styling but superior quality in every way. What size are those? Those are Alden right, not just Alden trees? Can I get a confirmation on what model? If those are 10D, I would advise you not to buy them.

edit: nevermind...8D. Even in used condition these shoes beat your other choices in every way except subjective style preferences. If your personal taste leans more towards the other two, you would be obviously wasting your money on these.

danyllau

Reaction score

+ i think this forum hates bicycle toe lol

And yeah, try the exact pair locally before buying online, unless you really feel the deal is just too good ( which usually is not the case)

sepandee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harry Lean
Yes, but the gent is new to dress shoes, things can still go wrong. He might buy the same brand but on a different last. Or he might buy a shoe online and make the mistake of buying a U.K size instead of a U.S size etc.

To the original poster, what part of the world do you come from. Please try to be specific.

Canada. And I'm new to dress shoes as in I've only owned 3 or 4 (I'm 25). Yes, a novice, but not an idiot (or maybe just slightly an idiot).

According to you, not me. Fortunately we have different tastes!

Originally Posted by hossoso
Not just better styling but superior quality in every way. What size are those? Those are Alden right, not just Alden trees? Can I get a confirmation on what model? If those are 10D, I would advise you not to buy them.

edit: nevermind...8D. Even in used condition these shoes beat your other choices in every way except subjective style preferences. If your personal taste leans more towards the other two, you would be obviously wasting your money on these.

I don't know what those are. I just typed in men's dress shoes in google and posted the links to the few I liked.

OK, let's say I do try them at a local retailer. What next? WHERE do I order them online? Any good websites?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sepandee

OK, let's say I do try them at a local retailer. What next? WHERE do I order them online? Any good websites?

Thanks a lot for your help.

So come on. Your local store has to live, too.

To get advicery service from the locals and to buy online is IMO some kind of antisocial!

sepandee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
So come on. Your local store has to live, too.

To get advicery service from the locals and to buy online is IMO some kind of antisocial!

antisocial? what the hell? It might be not right and fair if the people working at the store are getting a commission. But antisocial? Where did you come up with that?

Plus, if it's going to save me $200, why not? A free market economy and culture produce all these designer clothing we obsess over. We might as well take advantage of it and find the best competition.

MellonC

Reaction score
Your budget won't get you nice shoes. Bruno Magli can be good shoes but doesn't have to be. May I suggest Land's End? They have wearable and passable shoes that you can consider to be a compromise. Otherwise, (assuming you are buying retail) you need at least about $300 US for Allen Edmonds. Of course, there are better stuff after this price point.

Question: Are you bartending??? why are you wearing a black suit to a wedding? Is the wedding held in the evening?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sepandee
Canada. And I'm new to dress shoes as in I've only owned 3 or 4 (I'm 25). Yes, a novice, but not an idiot (or maybe just slightly an idiot). According to you, not me. Fortunately we have different tastes!
not according to me. according to traditional and classic men's style. bicycle toes are for the ignorant and douchebags. get a nice italian blutcher, or bal if you want to be more formal.

eidolon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MellonC
Your budget won't get you nice shoes. Bruno Magli can be good shoes but doesn't have to be. May I suggest Land's End? They have wearable and passable shoes that you can consider to be a compromise. Otherwise, (assuming you are buying retail) you need at least about $300 US for Allen Edmonds. Of course, there are better stuff after this price point.

He can do alright with Johnston & Murphy if there's a deal. Something like this: http://www.shoebuy.com/johnston-murphy-melton/22864 with coupon code ENTSHOE15 is $143 something, which is a good price for a reasonably well made shoe.

sepandee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MellonC

Question: Are you bartending??? why are you wearing a black suit to a wedding? Is the wedding held in the evening?

I've already found some nice deals online, AE included.

No, I'm not bartending. Is wearing a black suit at an evening wedding forbidden these days?

not according to me. according to traditional and classic men's style. bicycle toes are for the ignorant and douchebags.

get a nice italian blutcher, or bal if you want to be more formal.

So you can't form your own elegant style independently?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads