• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What shirt & tie to match with Navy Athletic-cut suit?

mpdahaxing

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to a wedding in Toronto, BC,CN soon and have just bought this suit in Navy Blue:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/john-va...276732?origin=category&BaseUrl=All+Men's+Sale

I'm now wondering what shirt and tie I should wear with my new suit. I have some shirts and ties in my wardrobe already:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u51/mpdahaxing/000_0020.jpg

But I don't know if they match with my suit or not. Are my current shirts/ties fine? Or should I purchase new ones? If the latter is true, what colors and patterns?

Also, here is a picture of my face, so you know my complexion and hair color (I'm a young asian guy):

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u51/mpdahaxing/IMG_0295.jpg

I don't think you need to see my eyes, but they're dark brown and the same basic shape as those of the actor John Cho. Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited:

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a light to medium blue shirt and pair it with your existing navy tie.

Don't wear either of the two shirts you have in your pic.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark shirts should never be worn with a tie. It looks awful, and marks you as a rube.

White or light blue shirt. Get one of each, those are your staples. The navy tie would be fine with either, but I would probably only wear the stripe one with the white. The tie should always be darker than the shirt, for reasons that are too long to go into here, and it's not a rule you should ever break. With the significant element of white in that tie, if the shirt doesn't contain white, don't wear it.

Edit: Any of those shirts would be great. Stick to solids for now, save the patterns for later. If you wear one patterned shirt every time you wear a suit, it's immediately obvious that's your only shirt. Classic solids are much more anonymous, and besides, they're much easier to match things with.

Last edited:

mpdahaxing

Reaction score
cptjeff,

I see. Thanks for the lesson. Would I look better wearing a dark shirt without a tie then? Or does that look too punky/stupid?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many on here would say never, but yeah, they're fine with no tie. I have a dark purple ones that I wear casually in a similar role. No tie, under a lighter v neck sweater, or with a gray sportcoat. I'm not a fan of the no tie look with a full suit, but if you were to do it, a mid gray suit and an open collar black shirt can be a good look, a la George Cloony. Doing that with jeans and a gray blazer works as well. Better, IMO.

mpdahaxing

Reaction score
cptjeff,

Thanks. But I think I'll stick to the tie since I already bought the suit and don't wanna go hunting for a new, gray suit. I guess I'll be buying a solid, white shirt as opposed to a solid blue one then.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy both. It's a good long term investment, even if you don't expect to be wearing a suit all that often.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't have the money, then don't worry about it. But if you can spring for both, do it. You may be young, but you're probably done growing, and full fledged having a job adulthood isn't as far off as you may think. Well, adulthood, anyway. Maybe not the job part, it's a ridiculously tough economy for the young right now.

mpdahaxing

Reaction score
Yeah the job comment is dead on with my hunting experience. I can't even get hired to flip burgers and fold burritos. Hopefully the suit can help with interviews at the local pharmacies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics