• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What shirt collar for skinnier tie and suit?

Mutant Hairs

Reaction score
What type and size of shirt collar should I wear if my suit is cut to be on the skinny side? I also plan on wearing a skinnier tie (maybe 2.5 to 3 inches across the widest part).

breakfasteatre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear primarily skinny ties because its more of a casual thing for me and i find button up collars work very well because of the casualness of it

regular spread collars also look good, as well as collars without too much of a point

i find spread collars dont look very good with a skinny, rep tie

http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...4&d=1144788817

this example i dont find looks very good
too much space

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
personally, I like to wear buttondown collar shirts+thin tie with my skinny suits, esp if they are high buttoning. that style is more of a mod thing....

but otherwise I find that collars like

- simi rounded

or

- long regular pointed (esp if it's a lower buttoning skinny suit... a la dior homme)

or a regular pointed collar looks fine

those are my preferences

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would suggest a fairly straight or close point collar. 2.5-2.75 in length of the point.

make sure the lining is not too heavy. even non-fused.
I would stay away from a very high collar band.

Carl

www.cego.com

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skinnier tie should go with skinnier collared shirt and narrow lapeled suits IMO.

Mutant Hairs

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm going for a more fashion forward look. Any advice on retailers that may have shirts for this look? I don't want to break the bank, either.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Button-down. You could also go with one of those hip 1960's era Continental button-downs that you see in the French and Italian cinema.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe something like this.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.