• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

what shirt and tie for patterned suits?

kaizo

Reaction score
I've always wondered what goes well with small patterns like grey hounds tooth and grey birds eye. What colour and pattern shirt and tie would you match it with? Are mixing patterns like herringbone a taboo?

Big Texas

Reaction score
Depends on the size and scale of the patterns in the suit. Generally speaking, if a pattern is so small as to resolve to a solid when viewed at greater than arm's length distance, it can be treated as a solid (provided you don't pair it with similar micropatterned items).

It's hard to make sweeping generalizations here without seeing precisely what items you have in mind. For 99% of people, it's probably safest to go with a solid shirt, and either a solid tie or a tie with larger scale patterns than the suit's.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 patterns is perfectly fine and normal- and pretty easy. Just make the pattern of the suit and the other pattern (either on the shirt or tie) different in scale. 3 patterns can get tricky- don't try it until you've mastered two. Just wear either a plain shirt or a plain tie whenever you wear the suit, you'll generally be okay.

kaizo

Reaction score
Thank you both for your reply in that case I'll experiment around with the pattern matching sans tie for the moment. I've just got a windfall paul smith birds eye suit from a friend so I'll give that a go. :)

kaizo

Reaction score
My apologies upon reinspection the only birdseye I seem to have is my blue sportscoat, When I took a glance this morning I thought one of the 3 I received was birds eye but it looks like another micro pattern unknown to me. Please let me know if you know the name of it.

The birdseye sportscoat:

New Paul Smith suit of unknown micro pattern:

minervau

Reaction score

My apologies upon reinspection the only birdseye I seem to have is my blue sportscoat, When I took a glance this morning I thought one of the 3 I received was birds eye but it looks like another micro pattern unknown to me. Please let me know if you know the name of it. The birdseye sportscoat: New Paul Smith suit of unknown micro pattern:
I would treat them as solids for mixing and matching purposes.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 36 15.1%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 40 16.7%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Carmina

Votes: 36 15.1%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 77 32.2%