• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What SF approved item is your vote for the biggest waste of money ?

Manofstyle85

Reaction score
$1000 slick leather soled shoes. Absolutely no benefit for me at all in having these in Xilinhot. Also no need for a suit and tie, as I don't work in banking and finance, real-estate or for the government.

Then why are you here?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Broadband.

With dialup, I'd have so much more to look forward to.

Manofstyle85

Reaction score
I would agree partly with you, certain things like under garment, I don't think too much money should be spent on those. But come on, you mean a simple black shoes at JC penny (stafford, scheckers, etc...) is the same as an Allen Edmonds? Don't think so....

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
:hide:

pocket squares... I like the idea but I'm just too junior to get away with them at work. They few times i've tried I was WAY too self-conscious. and IMO it seems just too flashy as an entry level guy.

Manofstyle85

Reaction score
The only time I am not wearing a pocket square is when I am not wearing a sport coat or a suit...

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Expensive tie bars--plain nickel-plated ones are fine.

Expensive glasses frames--got a pair for $16.50 yesterday (with lenses) that are just as good as others I paid hundreds for.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Then why are you here?
Because one is not in SW&D. Exotic Japanese denims and $300 designer sneakers don't really float my boat either. You do know there is more to MC than just suits, ties and expensive shoes? IMO things that are just not relevant to life in Xilinhot and the surrounding grasslands. If I had an office job and was living in London or New York, no doubt my opinions and sartorial requirements would be somewhat different.

Last edited:

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
lol... "sf approved".....

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
i can tell you what the very BEST use of my discretionary funds has been: CVS cloth tape.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:hide:

pocket squares... I like the idea but I'm just too junior to get away with them at work. They few times i've tried I was WAY too self-conscious. and IMO it seems just too flashy as an entry level guy.

MC I am suprised and saddened to read this. 4 years on SF hasn't cured of this self-consciousness?
Live brother, live! Wear with extreme confidence.
We'll teach those Toronto dullards out there one at a time if we have to. :slayer:

Last edited:

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I believe the Hermes H belt is SF approved.

I also believe it is a big waste of money.

But to the owners of the belt, you are in great luck. As a former owner, I was sure glad a whole heap of people on eBay bidded against each other giving me 80% what I paid for it. Best thing about it - it was well used and over 4 years old.

If it is now SF-approved, I missed the memo. I've always been baffled that Roetzel endorsed it.

I don't pay a premium for socks. Buy those based on pattern. Can't imagine paying top dollar for a linen square or a plain cotton square, no matter how diaphanous. Same with belts -- mine cost $50 or less. Much less for black.

I go cheap on khakis now that slimmer fits are widely available. Same with fine-wale cords. Don't care much about cashmere. Buy shirts based on pattern and collar.

Think handwork in RTW shirts is marketing for suckers.

If I can't tell the benefits of a construction method, can't tell what makes a more expensive thing better than its less expensive brethren, I don't pay for it. I'm not into buying romance.

Last edited:

Sazerac

Reaction score
Spending $50k on a watch.

I suppose it's all relative, though. There are many who would say the same for a $2k watch, which I thought was the **** until I learned about watches on this forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics