• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What SF approved item is your vote for the biggest waste of money ?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, some clothing items are totally worth spending a lot of money on. They are unique, stylish, fit perfectly, or are just bulletproof. I have GLADLY spent a lot of money of things such as: Grenadine ties, Shatung ties, slim fit pants, linen jackets, slim fit shirts, belts with stylish patterns, whiskey shell wingtips, pebble grain wingtip boots, etc.

On the other hand, some things just don't seem like they are worth spending big bucks on. I'll start: Black belts. They all look the same to me. Do I need one to last 10 years? Not really. I can just buy a new one every few years, if need be. I just don't feel like I'm getting much for my money, so I personally would never spend $100 on a black belt. (Plain black shoes come in a close second)

I'd rather direct my funds elsewhere,and get more "impact" for the buck.
In your opinion and experience, what items are simply not worth paying extra for ?

Last edited:

tone76

Reaction score
Grenadine ties, Shatung ties, slim fit pants, linen jackets, slim fit shirts, belts with stylish patterns, whiskey shell wingtips, pebble grain wingtip boots, etc. :fence:

atila

Reaction score
Slim fit pants/shirts? You mean, you prefer your clothing to look ill fitting on you?

edit: Just want to add I agree with the black belt thing.

Last edited:

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

JakeLA

Reaction score
My Tom Ford butt plug. An impulse purchase that I now regret.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To me, some clothing items are totally worth spending a lot of money on. They are unique, stylish, fit perfectly, or are just bulletproof. I have GLADLY spent a lot of money of things such as: Grenadine ties, Shatung ties, slim fit pants, linen jackets, slim fit shirts, belts with stylish patterns, whiskey shell wingtips, pebble grain wingtip boots, etc.

On the other hand, some things just don't seem like they are worth spending big bucks on. I'll start: Black belts. They all look the same to me. Do I need one to last 10 years? Not really. I can just buy a new one every few years, if need be. I just don't feel like I'm getting much for my money, so I personally would never spend $100 on a black belt. (Plain black shoes come in a close second)

I'd rather direct my funds elsewhere,and get more "impact" for the buck.
In your opinion and experience, what items are simply not worth paying extra for ?

Is this the opening salvo in your bid to be the president of SBFC?

SBFC= Styleforum Blind Follower Club

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the Hermes H belt is SF approved.

I also believe it is a big waste of money.

But to the owners of the belt, you are in great luck. As a former owner, I was sure glad a whole heap of people on eBay bidded against each other giving me 80% what I paid for it. Best thing about it - it was well used and over 4 years old.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Reevolving is really, really into this whole "SF approved" meme.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Threads started by Reevolving. Oh, wait, that gets my vote for biggest waste of time.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$1000 slick leather soled shoes. Absolutely no benefit for me at all in having these in Xilinhot. Also no need for a suit and tie, as I don't work in banking and finance, real-estate or for the government.

Oh yeh, some other stuff that's not worth me spending good money on, Grenadine ties, Shatung ties, slim fit pants, linen jackets, slim fit shirts, belts with stylish patterns, whiskey shell wingtips, pebble grain wingtip boots, etc. Pretty sure I can't even get many of these things anyway. 

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads