1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What say you of the broguing of these shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by appolyon, Oct 9, 2007.

1. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

I'm sure everyone here subscribes to boing boing but just in case ... check out the broguing on these shoes...

[​IMG]

2. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

Barker Black shoes. Skulls had a moment. Unfortunately, a motif quickly becomes tired these days.

At this point, wearing skulls looks like you're late at a party that is nearly over. And Barker Black has made it their logo. Perhaps in five years the recent skull moment will be forgotten and one could wear these again.

http://www.barkerblack.com/collection.html

3. mishon

mishon Senior member

Is that skull and bones? The leather has a cheap look or it may just be the picture.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

A lot to pay for novelty clothing, in my book. And Barker Black has become so well known that it's a little too logo-ized/conspicuous consumption for my tastes as well. Like if Ralph's shoes had a Polo player medallion.

5. nmoraitis

nmoraitis Senior member

Is that skull and bones? The leather has a cheap look or it may just be the picture.

My younger brother has the Brown Calf/Brown Suede Spectator and the leather is definitely thin. The C&J Bench made is a superior shoe. Not very good value, but he loves them and that's what matters.

6. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

In a word....

no

7. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

8. sartort

sartort Senior member

i'm going to go against the grain and defend barker black here. i don't own any pairs yet, but hope to own one pair soon. i have a pair of c&j, a pair of egs for rlpl (with another on the way) and i've seen bb in person. i must say that they appear fairly well constructed to me. some lasts/styles are better than others. the leathers aren't as interesting as the antiquing on eg, but not many are imo (including lobb's museum calf, but i digress)? at full retail, i agree, i would rather buy a pair of eg's on discount. but, on sale, i think they are not necessarily a good value, but a fun shoe nonetheless.

i think a lot fo the bb bashers on here haven't seen a pair in person. the skull and bones motif gets plastered around with close up shots, but from eye level down to feet level, it is really hardly noticeable, especially to the avg non-sf person. i appreciate what they are trying to do, even if it is novel.

9. dave

dave Senior member

A lot to pay for novelty clothing, in my book.

unfortunately that's probably too true.

But I'd wear em if they were more reasonably priced. I espcially like the black and white specs someone posted in the spectator thread a few weeks back.

10. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

11. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

How much money do you want to spend on a trendy look?

For nonstandard brogueing, I like the Gieves & Hawkes buckshot brogues more:

http://www.gievesandhawkes.com/en/gi...agestatus=view

I cannot see them well in this picture. Are these with the buckshot pattern that looks random...like shotgun pellet brogues? Thanks.

12. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I actually kind of like the buckshot broguing. I mean the skull and bones is cool, but it's gotten sort of overexposed and would not be anything more than a novelty shoe in any case.

13. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

It's not my thing, but it's also subtle enough that the vast majority of people won't notice. How often could somebody answer the question "Did he have an Arabesque or a thistle pattern on his wing tips?" As for quality, I've never seen them.

14. 16520Man

16520Man Senior member

I'll second the "going against the grain" ethic here. The broguing is very subtle; you generally have to point out the memento mori for it to be noticed. The last is elegant and the leather -- once broken in -- is actually comfortable and attractive. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. dave

dave Senior member

yeah, those are the ones i was talking about. they look great![​IMG]

16. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I like them, but I don't $750-like-them. You could say I $175-like-them.

17. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

seems really tacky. but at the same time, if i wasn't really looking hard enough/not observant, i probably wouldn't notice the skull

18. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't own any Barker Black shoes but I am considering them. To me, they look great and I am impressed by what the owners are trying to do. I think they did an excellent job taking a traditional shoe and adding clever details that work. Plus, they have probably done more to encourage and introduce interest in traditional shoes among young men in the US than anyone I know. With their range of styles, MTO program and the fact that they are genuinely cool and stylish guys I hope they continue to grow and innovate. Sure the skull and crossbones icon has been done to death but, "So what?". If you like it, then enjoy it.

I'm actually looking forward to see what they will do next. I am hoping they will be more than a "one trick pony" and wish them well.

19. flylot74

flylot74 Senior member

They do nothing for me. I'm not fond of the skull and bones thing.

20. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I'll give 3-to-1 odds on a Lightning Bolt Medallion for S/S 08.

5-to-1 on a Gothic Cross