1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What sartorial faux pas do you commit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by odoreater, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Not a fan of Mr. Flusser, eh?

Do I worship him? No. Do I quote him as scripture? No. But then I've never even read him. Though, I have met and conversed with him on several occasions(when he was at SFA) for what would amount to a couple of hours of total chat time. I found him to be an interesting fellow whose knowledge of the menswear business and sartorial history was as good as anyone that I've met. Until I found these MB's(SF,AAAC), I had no idea that he was held up as a deity and I've always had an uncontrollable urge to tweak the divine.

2. demo5

demo5 Senior member

Black loafers, often suede, often Tods driving mocs, with my suits (every day).

3. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

-Cuff buttons (jackets and shirts) often open
    -Black suit
    -Jeans/sportcoat, repeatedly
    "Informal" boots (e.g. Tod's desert boots, Alden 405's) with suits
    -Bit loafers or driving mocs with suits
    -Sneakers with suits (less often than sneakers with jeans/sportcoat, though)
    -Captoe derbies or even oxfords with jeans
    -Jeans/French cuffs, sometimes with a sportcoat, sometimes with cufflinks, sometimes untucked
    -Brown shoes at any hour, including suede (as to the latter, I suppose one can't be breaking a rule if one is unaware that it is a rule)
    -Linen when temperature warrants, regardless of the calendar date

4. Morris

Morris Senior member

- Freelancing socks with casual trousers
    - Suede shoes (tobacco) in the summer
    - Pattern mixing (up to four)
    - Wool ties in the city

5. thinman

thinman Senior member

Odd jackets with jeans. Dress shoes, including oxfords, with jeans. Monkstraps with suits. Suede shoes whenever I feel like it. Brown shoes whenever I feel the urge (almost always). Rubber soled Rockports when it rains (but only with casual clothing).

6. gza

gza Senior member

http://www.cityslickershoes.com/askdrfashion.htm

Another question from that site:

"Q. I want to wear mustard-colored shoes with my olive suit. What color socks should I wear?"

I must admit I've yet to do the olive suit-mustard shoe combo, but I do regularly commit various other faux pas, including:

brown shoes at night
    white anytime of year
    sneakers with dress trousers
    jeans and odd jackets
    untucked shirts with odd jackets
    odd jacket and trousers of similar colors (e.g. light brown with dark brown)

7. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Argyle socks with jeans or a suit. Dickies pants. [​IMG] Those are the only ones I can think of, though I'm sure other people would spot more.

8. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Brown suits whenever, save very serious occasions; boots with suits; brown shoes at night; hacking jackets in town

I don't really get the notion that pattern mixing is against the rules.

9. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I'm also guilty of wearing brown shoes at night and monk straps with suits (even bicycle toe monkstraps). One time at a night-time event (a Christening dinner) my gf remarked to me how everyone was wearing really clunky square-toed rubber soled Kenny Cole shoes and I was the only-one wearing classic leather-soled shoes. I replied to her, "yeah, but I'm the one that's commiting a faux pas by wearing brown shoes at night, while they are wearing black." She replied, "Hah!" to which I replied, "then again, I'm the only one that knows that."

10. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

I wear sneakers and baseball caps a lot 'cause I like them. That's my biggest faux pas.

11. Roy Biggins

Roy Biggins Senior member

-White anytime of the year
    -Brown shoes at night
    -I only wear knit ties (I really only wear ties under sweaters)
    -Boat shoes, and I have never even been on a boat.

Probably a lot more that I cannot think of right now...

I pretty much dress according to the weather, no matter what time of the year it is. I believe that breaking the rules, with the right person, can lead to really interesting results (especially mixing patterns!). But, in order for someone to break the rules and still look good, they must actually know the rules to begin with.

12. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Just about everthing mentioned in the previous posts I guess--except I don't wear short-sleeve shirts, don't untuck my shirt, don't wear shorts outside, don't wear exercise clothes except to walk the Dobie, don't wear hats (just hoodies and/or [cashmere]baseball caps), .....
    http://whatareyouwearingtoday.blogspot.com/

13. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Weird thing, and I would not do this with any of my other suits for business, but for some strange reason I have always liked the look of a white, button-down collar shirt with a three-piece suit. Somehow the collar being locked down dovetailing into the vest always looks so "neat" to me.

OK...go ahead and shoot me...

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I never match my socks with my pants.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I'll start - when I'm dressed casually - and especially when wearing jeans or cords - I often wear dress shoes with black ankle socks.

Whew - that felt good. Okay, now you go.

I'm wondering, is this a Trad-ish look or more a Thom Browne look?

16. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I never match my socks with my pants.

I'm sure it feels good to get that off your chest.[​IMG]

17. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

I have been guilty of this occasionally, however, I don't necessarily consider socks to be an extension of one's trousers.

18. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I'm wondering, is this a Trad-ish look or more a Thom Browne look?

I don't think it's really either one. I didn't really get this look from anywhere, just kind of came up with it on my own. Most of the time nobody even sees it unless I'm sitting down and I have one of my legs crossed over the other - then it just gives me a cool casual look.

19. VMan

VMan Senior member

I'll break any sartorial rule just to get a rise out of the traditionalists/conservatives.

20. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I'm sure it feels good to get that off your chest.[​IMG]
    I feel like a Mafia Don after confession.[​IMG]