• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What sartorial faux pas do you commit?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I brazenly wear brown shoes to formal business meetings and formal dinners.

I have to love how GQ now recommends to wear brown shoes all the time.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Flusser himself gives the brown-suede-shoes-in-summer look his endorsement.

A dubious distinction.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
A dubious distinction.
Not a fan of Mr. Flusser, eh? Say what you will about the man--and beyond the glibness of your reply, you've said nothing--but Flusser's writing about sartorial matters has had a sizeable and positive influence on the way many men dress. He is, by virtually any objective measure, a leading authority on men's style.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Suede shoes in summer, brown in town,

http://www.cityslickershoes.com/askdrfashion.htm

Q. I'm confused. Do I wear suede shoes in the spring/summer or fall/winter?

A. Suede is the reverse side of finished leather. It is brushed and finished to show an even nap but the weight is the same as leather, so wearing suede shoes in spring/summer is not any warmer than wearing them fall/winter. Furthermore, spraying your suede with a suede or leather protectant will save it from most stains that occur by fall/winter weather. Always test the spray on an area that is not visible to see if there is any color change and follow the manufacturer's directions for application and ventilation.

Do you have a question for Dr. Fashion?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Not a fan of Mr. Flusser, eh?

Do I worship him? No. Do I quote him as scripture? No. But then I've never even read him. Though, I have met and conversed with him on several occasions(when he was at SFA) for what would amount to a couple of hours of total chat time. I found him to be an interesting fellow whose knowledge of the menswear business and sartorial history was as good as anyone that I've met. Until I found these MB's(SF,AAAC), I had no idea that he was held up as a deity and I've always had an uncontrollable urge to tweak the divine.

demo5

Reaction score
Black loafers, often suede, often Tods driving mocs, with my suits (every day).

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-Cuff buttons (jackets and shirts) often open
-Black suit
-Jeans/sportcoat, repeatedly
"Informal" boots (e.g. Tod's desert boots, Alden 405's) with suits
-Bit loafers or driving mocs with suits
-Sneakers with suits (less often than sneakers with jeans/sportcoat, though)
-Captoe derbies or even oxfords with jeans
-Jeans/French cuffs, sometimes with a sportcoat, sometimes with cufflinks, sometimes untucked
-Brown shoes at any hour, including suede (as to the latter, I suppose one can't be breaking a rule if one is unaware that it is a rule)
-Linen when temperature warrants, regardless of the calendar date

Morris

Reaction score
- Freelancing socks with casual trousers
- Suede shoes (tobacco) in the summer
- Pattern mixing (up to four)
- Wool ties in the city

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd jackets with jeans. Dress shoes, including oxfords, with jeans. Monkstraps with suits. Suede shoes whenever I feel like it. Brown shoes whenever I feel the urge (almost always). Rubber soled Rockports when it rains (but only with casual clothing).

gza

Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
http://www.cityslickershoes.com/askdrfashion.htm

Another question from that site:

"Q. I want to wear mustard-colored shoes with my olive suit. What color socks should I wear?"

I must admit I've yet to do the olive suit-mustard shoe combo, but I do regularly commit various other faux pas, including:

brown shoes at night
white anytime of year
sneakers with dress trousers
jeans and odd jackets
untucked shirts with odd jackets
odd jacket and trousers of similar colors (e.g. light brown with dark brown)

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Argyle socks with jeans or a suit. Dickies pants.
tongue.gif
Those are the only ones I can think of, though I'm sure other people would spot more.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also guilty of wearing brown shoes at night and monk straps with suits (even bicycle toe monkstraps). One time at a night-time event (a Christening dinner) my gf remarked to me how everyone was wearing really clunky square-toed rubber soled Kenny Cole shoes and I was the only-one wearing classic leather-soled shoes. I replied to her, "yeah, but I'm the one that's commiting a faux pas by wearing brown shoes at night, while they are wearing black." She replied, "Hah!" to which I replied, "then again, I'm the only one that knows that."

StevenRocks

Reaction score
I wear sneakers and baseball caps a lot 'cause I like them. That's my biggest faux pas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads